30 gallon cube tank aiptasia help!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jasminerice114

I've tried it all, Jos juice, aiptasia x, peppermint shrimp and nudibranches!! Nothing is working. What would be the best way to get rid of these guys because my tank is starting to die off from the aiptasia stinging my corals

I'm in the same boat, my biocube is under attack from these little bastards. I'm on my last try now with the nudies. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to ditch all my rock and start fresh :( I hope your battle goes better then mine has so far.

Ya it's crazy because a week ago I had 2 little ones now there about 3 inches tall.. And there is about 30 of them popping up some in spots where I can't use aiptasia x or jos juice because they are right in the middle of my sunny d zoas

I've tried pretty much every solution, every tip that has been mentioned on numerous threads.
The only thing that has worked long term for me ( excluding nuking the rock and starting over ) is a matted file fish.
I bought one from Barrier Reef a few years ago for my 240 gallon softy tank.
It had many, many aptasias and majanos.
It took a couple months before I really noticed anything different and it took a few more months before I had trouble seeing any left.
I would guess it took a good 6 months, maybe a little more before the tank was clean of any aptasias and majanos.
I moved the fish to another tank that had a few in and it cleaned that tank as well.

I've tried pretty much every solution, every tip that has been mentioned on numerous threads.
The only thing that has worked long term for me ( excluding nuking the rock and starting over ) is a matted file fish.
I bought one from Barrier Reef a few years ago for my 240 gallon softy tank.
It had many, many aptasias and majanos.
It took a couple months before I really noticed anything different and it took a few more months before I had trouble seeing any left.
I would guess it took a good 6 months, maybe a little more before the tank was clean of any aptasias and majanos.
I moved the fish to another tank that had a few in and it cleaned that tank as well.

Very true. IMO I like fish take care of the nuisance anemone. File fish, copper band butterfly. peppermint shrimps sometimes work some don't depends on the species.
Chemicals imo seem to help spreading the nuisane.

If i dont feed the tank for like 3-4 days my peppermint shrimp will clear them all out when i get a wave. Other than that i use lemon juice in a bottle and a medical syringe. Works for me about every 2-3 injections. Besides the nudi's, butterfly fish and file fish im not sure.

I would see if someone in the forum has a file fish they may sell or lend you. I had some aptasia in my setup back in Washington and I purchased the file fish and it wiped em out. Then I just sold the fish.

I have heard people have had mixed results with the Majano Wands. I am curious to see how those work out...

I had an issue a few years back in my 90gal reef. I bought a bunch (10) of peppermint shrimp. Within a couple of weeks the aiptasia was gone! They show up every once in a while a few show up. I mix up a slurry of thick kalkwasser then cover the buggers using a turkey injector. Seems to work for me.

I've been trying to get a.zapper from swc for awhile now... may ordee from md or something idk.
D

aThe zapper is cool but not as cool as a 1.8w blue laser. It fries them from the foot up. Love my little laser. There are serious dangers that come with the use of any laser, but these high powered ones really are dangerous to anyone else that is in the room. I use it at night when the house is quiet and the kids are down. Use a flashlight and fry them.

Where does one get a high powered laser beam such as this? Any info is appreciated. U can pm me if u like. Thxs
-d

It will most likely decimate your zoanthid and palyotha corals.:pout:

I had one in a mixed tank didn't touch any of my corals, it was a small sized one but he disappeared think my brittle star got him so I replaced him with another and it was about twice the size of my last one and he loved to nip corals so it's a dice roll. Think you have a better chance with a smaller one but that's my opinion.

Luckily I only ever had about 3 in my tank,got a peppermint shrimp and it took care of them in about 3 days then the dottyback had shrimp for dinner (dam dottyback)so no shrimp in tank for me

Never heard of using laser beam for this before but my nudies worked and so did my copperband. Your tank is small so i don't know why nudies didn't work. Make sure is berghia though

Back