300 Cube 48X40X30

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PortlandReefer

New tank time! I haven’t attempted a tank “build” thread before but thought I would share my experience. I am putting in a new tank… not by choice though. Last month I was looking at the tank (150gal) and noticed there was a little crack in it . Apparently the top was not cut correctly (when built) and it has caused stress on it and so the little crack is getting bigger. Yikes! So either it is time to get a new tank or get out of reefing. Hmmmmm… I don’t want to get out.
The new tank is a (48x48x30) 300gal the dimensions on the tank have been my concept of a dream tank forever. The idea came from a LFS (Upscales - famous for "Home of the Original Oregon Torte"). They have the exact same size of tank as one of their display tanks.The tank was locally made by a guy from the PNWMA, (Charles). Everyone who has a tank made by him has only had good things to say. The metal stand was made from another local guy, (Taylor)...he has worked with metal for years and has a pretty good reputation. Very happy with the frame he made for the tank. I have been busy creating the woodwork for the stand. My first attempt at this....(wife) picked the colors. It is still a work in progress, And yes...Steve is still around...doing cold water reef right now. He has gotten a few ppl started on this type of reefing....starting a new trend. I will keep you guys posted as I move forward. My thought was to try to make the tank look like it is part of the room, (kind of like a divider coming out from the wall). It will be placed on the second floor with a main brace directly below it. The stand was made out of (2x4) square metal tubing. If my calculations are correct, (been a while since geometry class), the contact points of the stand will only be bearing roughly (187lbs) (per sq. inch), * if the whole package weighs 6,000lbs. The garage is directly below the tank so the two 55 gallon food grade drums for mixing and water changes will be held there. For some reason the wife doesn’t appreciate having them in the dining room….sheesh….go figure!

Equipment:
All will be controlled by an APEX
Return pump will be a Reeflo dart through (2) 1” sea swirl’s.
Flow will be (2) MP’s 40
The reactor will be a Korallin C-4002
Skimmer was made by a guy here local rated for 450 heavy bio load, (yeah for keeping it local)!
Using 2 BRS media reactors for GFO and carbon when needed.
Using a BRS 2 Part Doser accurate 1.1mL per minute to dose Mag.
Lighting:
Going to go with LED’s (Built by the same guy local…woo hoo). He is using the same casing as the other similar ones out there but at a more economical price. But I’m not total sold on LED’s so I got a great deal on some T-5 retro kit (Free….is ALWAYS good) So I am going to do (8) T-5’s and (4) of the LED’s fixtures. I know the T-5’s wont penetrate 30” but I don’t need them too. I really don’t plan on putting SPS’s that low. It will allow me to keep low light coral LPS’s in the tank with SPS.
Here is the lay out for the lighting:
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
LED
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
LED
Purple Plus
Blue Plus

Here is the starting of the stand
IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

I skined the stand with 3/4 and used 16lb magnets.
IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the tank on moving day.
IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

Here is the hood I did a frame using 1x2 wanted the hood to go to the ceiling but didn’t want the lights that high. I made the first leave at 16 off the water.
IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

Here is inside the light rack this is only 4 T-5 4 more to go. And one of the four LED's. The LED's looks like a cheap overseas one bu it is not. They are built by a local guy and builds them using the out side skin of the cheap ones but the inside are done by him.
IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

Very nice! Great tank! I love that size tank too. More pictures would be great! What do you have for livestock?

Very nice build!!
Is it possible you could PM me with the info on how to contact the guy that built your tank??

The purple coral with green polyps is some sort of bonsai. nice looking display if I haven't said so already.

Back