300 gallon aquascaping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

harrscars

Hello,

I am starting my 300 and am doing the rockwork. I did not think that would be a hard of a job as it is. Looking for some critique. Tank will be a sps and lps tank. Tank is 84 by 36 wide by 24 tall. Tried to keep all rock work under 12" high for coral grow out. Here are some pictures tell me what you think.

tank083.jpg

tank080.jpg

tank079.jpg

tank076.jpg

Tell me what you think. I am using all dry rock as I did not want to introduce any bad elements.

Thanks Mike

Looks like it will be a fun project. I tried laying my rockwork out before I put it in the tank one time but abandoned the attempt. Once I started actually putting it into a tank of water it took on a life of it's own and I had no control of it :) Good luck ..post pics

Bare bottom, inch or two, or DSB?
I would get some reef safe two part epoxy like aquascape from DD or milliput to "glue" rock to rock or rock to glass
If your going to use sand i like the idea i some somewhere where they stuck acrylic rods to a sheet of acrylic so that it lifted the rock off the bottom, but critters could still burrow under the rocks
also I would use a masonry bit to drill all the rock so the you can slip the rigged airline ( goto: http://reefvideos.com/ and watch the one of on pegging-mounting coral) it'll be great for SPS or LPS...
are you going to put the SPS on one side and the LPS on the other?
hope this helps
Stephen

OH, an i would plumb the out put of pumps (internal and external) different places in your tank...
like have a pump in the back send water into a pipe and have the pipe go under the sand and come out near the front glass...

Howdy all,

Just got back from picking up daughter in Lacey. In my opinion everyone should spend one winter driving in my home state of Wyoming, after that there will be no worries on the rd. LOL

Stopped at Barrier Reef and looked at some eye candy. The 72 is getting crowded and I did not want to have to acclimate at 10 o'clock tonight. Tamarindthai sorry I didnt call you today. No time. I really want to see youre set up and get some frags from you. I have another trip over in about 2 wks for my Lumenbrights so maybe we can hook up then.

Anybody have a vertex skimmer????? How do you like it???? I looked at the 250 model today at barrier reef. That is a nice footprint with a great price it may come home with me in a couple of weeks.

Busdriver: My plan is to lock everything together with epoxy and to peg it up with acrylic rods. I have procurred the rods already. Sand bed of about 1 to 11/2 inches. And you know I will be drilling the rock for frag plugs before we wet it. Been there done that. PITA trying to glue stuff when its wet. I dont have that patience.

Flow plan for the tank will be 4 tunzes or vortechs havent made up my mind yet. My fishroom is under the house in its own little room and will have a marlin return pump with three penductors on three sea swirls. I dont like to drill holes in the bottom of tank, and I think I can get all flow taken care of from the top.

Ok I beat 6am to 10pm driving, shopping, driving, shopping, driving makes me cranky. Talk to all tomorrow.

Mike

Well in doing my rock work and how the cutouts are on top of my tank I had to redesign my first ploy of work. I made a concrete shipwreck and mast and I am not going to have a use for them now. If anyone has a good home for them I would give them to you. No need for cash but frags are nice.:D:D Its made of colored concrete and has been aging about 1yr now. A couple of pics of it.

CIMG0080.jpg

CIMG0088.jpg

CIMG0070.jpg

CIMG0092.jpg

Hate to waste them. Lots of work not a lot of cash involved. Let me know.

Mike

Back