30gal cube growout tank. Help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FUBAR

I'm awesome.
Me and my friend have been propogating his ricordea's and mushrooms. But he's running out of room in his tank.

I have a 30gal cube that I'd like to setup for them to grow in until I get my main tank up and running.

What's a cheap way of setting this up? I'd hate to be spending a lot of the money I'm saving up for the setup of my 150.

I would use 1 halide that would be for the 150. maybe just do water changes instead of skimming. If you are doing no SPS you could get away with this. flow is going to be a problem. you probably cant take anything over from this tank to the 150. I would buy a couple mj1200 and then when you go 150 turn them into mjstreams. a few used powerheads would work great. If you do get an external skimmer I wouldn't shy away from running it on the 30 before you run it on the 150. Just buy one big enough for the 150.

Yeah, I'm not planning on doing sps. I also figured I wouldn't be able to really transfer anything over, so I'm not too worried about that.

I think after the other tank is setup and I've moved the coral, I'll use the 30 mostly as a QT/frag tank. Would I really need a MH for shrooms/rics? Seems a bit excessive if those are the only things in there. I already have two PC hoods that fit over it at the same time. One's a 96w and the other is a 24w.
But that's really all I have right now. I might get a skimmer for it, just one large enough for the 150 like you said. Otherwise just load it up with LR/LS for filtration? Or would the bioload be small enough to where filtration isn't all that important? And the water changes should take care of it?

Back