30x30x30 cube designs would love opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

After much deliberation,

The somewhat final plans: 30x30x30 1/2 acrylic cube with the back 6 inches in black acrylic serving as a sump.

Circulation: Mag 12 connected to a 1 inch SeaSwirl in the back corner.
3x 3/4 inch bulkhead for attachments to centipede spray bars aimed to push the anemone away from the overflow, and also to cover deeper areas not covered by the SeaSwirl (like the corner underneath it), these will likely be powere by MJ 1200 pumps which will be hidden in the sump and connected to a tsunami wavemaker (the one pump pushing away from the sump will always be on).

Lighting: 1x PFO single HQI ballast, powering Aqualine Bushke's double-ended 250 watt 10K bulb
4 x 75 watt URI Actinic blue VHOs on icecap 430 ballast
1 x moonlight (white)
IceCap fan with temperature monitor

Skimmer: Urchin AquaC skimmer

Planned aquarium livestock: Ritteri
Going for more Lagoon type corals...Montipora, pollicipora, stylopora, fungia gorgonians,mushrooms, sacrophyton and only a few species of acropora
Large clam Squamosa, Deresa or Gigas ~12"
Small school of skunk clownfish
Sailfin lawnmower blenny
Any suggestions for fish that like to school, stay small, are colorful and hopefully are aquacultured and love to eat algae?!?
Criticisms and suggestions for plan always appreciated...
Will post sequential pictures once underway...

sounds like fun! but let me give you some advice:

1- Ritteri(H.Magnifica) are the most difficult anemones to keep alive, Anemones in general are for experts, and you my friend are new to this. If I was you, I would try Bubble-Tip Anemones first(BTA)

2- Those dimensions 30x30x30 will require 400watt (3-4) bulbs, I wouldnt go any taller than 24" on a reef tank if you still want anemones. They need all the light they can get.

3. Inverts from shallow reef zones(especially anemones!) need excellent water quality so you need filtration of some sort and in good amounts!

Sorry if Im raining on your parade. But Ive been in this hobby for 15 years so I know how it is. GOOD LUCK!

A 250 watt DE and 4 x 75 watt vho's is more than enough. The lights sit 6 inches off the aquarium. With a 5 inch plenulum and 1/2 inch acrylic and a rock arch that goes more than halfway up the tank..........That is more than enough. I'm going with a rose BTA anyway because they're cheaper and hardier. By the way, I've had reef aquariums since 1994. I enjoy people's opinions, but I have to say that 4 x 400watt bulbs is stupid. I would have to get a huge chiller and my electric bill would be crazy.
Thanks for the good luck!

iwantone said:
By the way, I've had reef aquariums since 1994. I enjoy people's opinions, but I have to say that 4 x 400watt bulbs is stupid. I would have to get a huge chiller and my electric bill would be crazy.

But its obvious you havent been, or you havent read about and researched what your talking about. Go do some reading, you need 400watts MH for 30" deep tank with anemones in it! Theres no arguing it. Im glad your not going to kill ritteri's! :|

PS I have 400watt MH and no chiller is needed.

Hi guys,
Things have derailed abit here. Lets try and keep this on a positive note since the topic of this thread is 30x30x30 cube designs would love opinions. Obviously not all of the opinions offered up are going to viable, but keep in mind they are just opinions. Set your tank up how you like, but lets try and keep this thread civil and productive so that everyone benefits from it.

If either of you feel the need, please feel free to contact the Admin's of the board here for discussion about this.

Nick

Tank is finally done and about 7 weeks old.
Thanks for all the support and advice from those who aren't arrogant.

Tank: specs: 36x30x30 (6 inches are for built in sump in back)
Skimmer aqua c pro urchin with mag 3
sea swirl with mag 12, 2 maxi jet 1200s attached to bulkheads and centipedes, one high and one low in corner where sea swirl is
Aragocrete rock from GARF on small pvc stands so nothing touches sand
4-5 inch san bed on plenulum
250 watt DE 10k aqualine bulb with PFO ballast and pendant
4 vho's uri actinic with icecap 430 ballast
1 moonlight
RTA anemone already eating and has started to divide after only a couple of weeks. I will try my technique for anemone division at the 6 month mark once I find a healthy small ritteri.

I cant believe you put anemones in a 7 week old tank. You are truly just a beginner, but I guess you'll learn and grow. I guess your name says it all "iwantone" :badgrin:

Tank has live sand in it and a plankton swarm in it at night. I do 10 percent water changes every week. The anemone is feeding and is getting ready to split. The montiporas around it are growing fast as well. Let me know if you're interested

You can at least be glad that I didn't get the giant clam or ritteri.

Back