32 gallon custom rimless in progress.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

ended up getting my tank made its 24" X 15.5" X 24" tall and 1" thick acryllic with blue back. flame polished edges with overflow drilled in back of tank.

Sump/refuge is in progress of being built should be done tomorrow actually its going to be 21" X 13" X 16" tall 1/2" thick.

has a closed loop that drops down from two holes in bottom of tank down to a mag 2 that will sit in the sump and pushed back up two more holes in bottom of tank into a spray bar made with (5)1/2" pvc Ts and (2) elbows sits far back near back of tank.

it will have a mag 3 that will be set in sump for the 2 returns in top corners of tank.

most likely will have a aqua C urchin or possibly a coralife skimmer just depends on what will fit in sump was built to fit almost any decent skimmer.

will be hanging a 250W metal halide 24" sunpod above the tank.

and im custom building a stand for it thats in progress ill be posting pics on here tomorrow of the tank and stand.

tanks mainly going to be SPS, clams, and Rares.

sounds good just a think about bottom drilled tanks can have problems i hope who ever built your tank did a good job and you installing the plumbing ? cause if u have a leak wil lhaev to take the whole tank down

yeah its the one that lanzo had sitting in his shop for me the sump is ready too and is sitting by his desk also =) its made from the leftovers of his 1400 gallon tank thats being built

heres some of the pics i took yesterday not the best but shows the tank/stand ill have some tonight or tomorrow of the stand and tank finished, just gotta paint the inside and put doors/handles on and stand is done =P

tank004.jpg

tank006.jpg

tank003.jpg

tank005.jpg

tank001.jpg

Last edited:
here is an update on what it looks like with the stand done havnt had time to go pick up the sump/refuge yet but will post with the pics of that soon after this..not the best pics but gives you an idea about how it will look =) havnt decided yet on the lights i might decide to make a box and retrofit in a 250w and hang it above the tank but ill probably go the easy way and buy a sunpod

tank003-1.jpg

tank002.jpg

tank001-1.jpg

Moving along nicely! I'm interested to see how the flow works out for you as the bar on the bottom looks like a pretty neat idea rather than the conventional spray bar alot of people use. It would have been cool to have the outputs on the bar threaded so you can pop in some lockline to adjust the flow pattern, but that is something you can always still do later if needed :)

yeah, i thought about that which i might do once i see how it flows but i didnt glue any of it so i can move all 4 Ts any way i want with ease. =) so that might be enough

i like the clean look of that cube...
looking forward to seeing it with water.
i think you should upgrade your pump to an eheim 1250 (317gph) for a return pump,
and a eheim 1260 for the closed loop, it's 600gph, which i think will be waaay more appropriate for flow, especially considering that the closed loop is under the rock pile.
2 mag pumps will produce some heat for sure, and be loud. the eheim pumps are 100% better in all comparisons, and they will last you over 10 years if you take care of them.
also, did you get my pm about the tunze?:)

finally got the tank plumbed and ready for some new pumps thought this one that i bought would be good for the return but doesnt seem like it will its a lifegard Quietone 2200 supposed to move 581gph but sure doesnt seem like it so im thinking of going with the eheim's that you recomended skimmerwhisperer. ill get some recent pics up tonight with it filled up and running freshwater.

new equipment plans.

-Outer orbit 24" 150w hqi w/4 T5s (anyone seen these setup?)
-Tunze 9010
-Eheim 1260
-Eheim 1250

How about a picture of the inside of the cabinet showing plumbing, etc?

thanks

really confused on the pump size that i should have alot of people think that i should have roughly 30-50x for this tank since it is going to be sps/clams so therefore the sugested eheim 1250 for return and 1260 for closed loop wont be that if i did 2x 1260s then that would hit right around 32x would that be better? or is the 1250 and 1260 perfectly fine? everyone seems to have diferent opinions on this....also on this do you calculate in how much your skimmer does too? i dont think you do due to it has nothing to do with the main display...

Looks great. If I may. The one thing that was a problem for me when I had my 150 was the screens at the bottom. My screen were in the back and couldnt get to once I put all the rock in. They will need cleaning to keep your flow going. Mine got pluge up fast. Just a little heads up that you may have thought about already. Best of luck.
More pics

got a pic of the inside sump/refuge and plumbing for the closed loop not all done yet but need to get the pumps and then ill plumb it to where it needs to sit.

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

Back