3month old NANO; Need ideas for additions!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Little Luey said:
I would advice not to get the cheap Odissea fixture, they are very low quality and more than likely you will end up buying a good one once this one fails. You get what you pay for, remember that.

the honest truth is that anything made in china is all about the same quality, coralife and current have probably similar amounts of failures, they just have a large, fancy american end user company to contact.
plus this is the 4th generation of the odyssea lights, they have engineered most all the bugs out, and they are much better units. look at the return and failure rates of the other chinese companies, if you can find that info, good luck though because they arent going to publish that information. i think a much better judge of a company is their response when it breaks or fails, and in that department aquatraders (odyssea) has been great.
although i have never had any of their lights fail on me yet, only issue i had was i received some broken bulbs with a light unit(which they dont charge you for in the first place) it was a nominal fee to replace them, like $12 for a hqi bulb.

if you really want to step your lighting up a notch, check out the euro companies;
giesemann,
sfiligoi,
arche noah.
now those are some quality lights.
you can find info on those companies here
http://www.korallenriff.de/29interzoo/index.html

i cant afford most of that stuff normally, occasionally i can :), that's why i sometimes go with the inexpensive chinese stuff, but it is true what little luey said, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
just curious about the ballasts, that's what would most concern me, i don't see the fixtures themselves breaking as much as ballasts dying, i mean for instance one of my ballasts on my current satelite pc fixture died and the warrenty was over, it was just over a year old only, kinda paranoid about ballast dying now i suppose...

I think your thread got hi-jacked Steven. :lol: Once you get that new rock in, take some more pics buddy.

Back