40-80 watts in a fish only setup??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I don't know if this has ever been asked before, but say for instance you use the regular all glass aquarium flourescent lights which are rated at 40-80watts (depending on single or double tubes)in a saltwater aquarium FO setup, what kind of algae do you think you would be dealing with...if any? I know that lighting is only one of the factors that inhibit algae growth and you have to take in account phosphates, nitrates etc, but would do you think would be the outcome?

No different than any other light setup with the proper spectrum...spectrum plays a big part as well, problematic microalgae seem to prefer lower K light (red)....

MikeS

Ageed.... Lots of factors here (Silicates, Phosphates, lighting duration, players in the tank etc) The only thing for certain with that limited amount of light is that the only thing you could keep in the tank are non photosynthetic creatures ie fish and inverts like stars hermits snails

There's no problem, as far as the lighting. (As other members have said, there's a lot more to algae than just lighting--mainly nutrients.) Just keep the color spectrum above--or at least at--6500K, as plants tend to prefer more yellow or red light. And replace your bulbs regularly--fluorescents wear out after 6 months to a year (I replace mine very 6 months), and when a bulb is old, it tens to spur algae growth for some reason.

Yeah, i'll be using 50/50 bulbs...no more than 110 watts, but more than likely I think they will equal to 80 in a 90 gal. I understand the whole concept behind algae growth. Fought with it for a very long time and I'm making a few changes this time around (i.e crushed coral, not enough flow etc). I'm only setting up a fish only tank this time for a while.

Given the spectrum on light remains constant the less light to fuel the algae the better. I've run 80watts of NO output for years on 50-75 gallon tanks with great success.

Sounds good to me. I've read on Premium Aquatics site that the regular flourescent lights that usually come with aquariums ( I would assume like all glass aquariums) if using the 50/50 bulb, you can successfully keep fish, mushrooms, and even some soft corals that require little light. So I figured I'll give it a try.

Back