5-gallon bucket skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm gonna try the 5 gallon culligan water jug skimmer. countercurrent using a sedra 9000 or something of the sorta. Cost of actual skimmer is going to be very minimal. I have seen very good results with these. The trick is cutting access into the jug and sealing it up. Off the top of my head something easy like a DIY giant bulkhead and then add the funnel to thank to a collection cup. It should fit into my new sump. Bought a 50 gallon at petsmart today! w00h00. 12.5 x 19 x 48

Well I finished the skimmer itself.. Sedra 9000 with needlewheel will be ordered in a couple of weeks.

Just thought I'd share pics. DIY is so much fun! :)

More

Cost... 3 bottles of water.. which I drank. $36

Gate Valve - lying around - used it off my old CPR overflow.
Elbows And Joints $25
Rubber Washers $10
Pipe - Had it lying around

If you don't count the water bottles $35 isn't bad for a test skimmer.. certainly cheaper than using acrylic and building the base yourself. Bulkheads were made out of electrical conduit with washers and plumbers thread. I used a threaded union to unscrew the collection cup and slide it right out.

Last edited:
The only problem i see here is the neck diameter is waaay to small. You'll need much more than the stock neck to have such a large pump with that much air. Other than that it looks pretty good. I'd suggest a 5-7" diameter neck though. Good luck!

I never really thought about the neck size. I went down to walmart and picked up a larger diameter container for $1.50. Neck is much larger in the collection cup. It measures about 5 1/2 inches now.

The largest twist connection I could find at Home Depot was the 3" which is at the top of the container to attach the collection cup.

Do you guys think I should add some 90 degree elbows on that T fitting and make the water swirl.. any advantage?

Yeah it has been running for about two weeks now. Starting to get some nice nasty stuff out of it. I was running a bit too dry but currently working on something not too wet either.

Very funky stuff. I took off the cup and the wife said "Ewwww Whats that smell. " seems to be pulling out a lot but the cup itself is too big in size.. but does work as it should. I can go a while without emptying it.

Last edited:
Back