520g Peninsula Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rea17

Well, I finally decided it's time to start the build thread! I keep waiting until we get a little farther along so I have pictures to share, but I figure we'll get to that later.

Right now I'm running a 210 gallon mixed reef, my fish have grown, and I found myself overstocked! I love my fish too much to downsize, so I decided it's time to go bigger. Our original plans were to build a 10' long in wall tank in the living room, but due to time and money constraints... we decided to wait on the giant tank until we move to our next house 5-10 years down the road (THAT will be a build thread worth reading). After a lot of deliberation... we chose to buy a "complete" setup thinking it would be cheaper than trying to piece something together. That may have backfired, but that's another story.

The new tank is a custom built starphire glass 8'x4'x32" with a plywood bottom, covered with a high quality laminate and sealed. It is a peninsula setup, fits perfectly in the middle of our living room... except for a few adjustments we are going to have to make to the canopy! It's about 2 inches too tall :doh:. My husband assures me it won't be that big of a deal, it's just something else we need to get to. We have spent the last couple of weekends building a sump room in the garage. Our tank came with a 100g custom sump that we plan to feed the skimmers/Ca reactor/Phosban reactor/etc out of, and we are going to use a 150g rubbermaid stock tank as refugium space. The current project is electricity. My husband has mounted an electrical panel for the room, run armored conduit for lighting, and now we are working on installing electrical boxes! I have been instructed to go around with a sharpie and draw on the wall EVERYWHERE I want outlets - maybe he shouldn't have done that:loco:

While he works on that - I'm arranging my 270lbs of Pukani from Bulk Reef Supply trying to get an idea of the aquascape I want to achieve. They sent me 10 huge pieces, not exactly what I expected! I may need to order more in order to add some complexity to my scape (arches, spires, etc) with epoxy and acrylic rod. This time I will request smaller pieces. Before I can actually put my rock in the tank, I need to get in there and attempt to mask some scratches. Sadly, I didn't see them until we got the tank home, but there are some GOUGES in the sides (tank was used). I've read about the clear nail polish trick online, and it definitely makes them less visible. I'm hoping with water in the tank they will be less noticeable.

As far as our equipment plan goes, we will have a hammerhead return pump, Vortech mp60s, LED lighting (thinking the reefbreeders photon32 x4?, read very good things, and we are on a budget!), Phosban reactor 550, dual stage MRC CA reactor, 5 stage RO unit, and a choice of skimmers! Luckily I have 3 big ones to choose from, and I may run more than one :)

Here are a couple pictures - this is the tank just after we got it home followed by my rock on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood I'm using as a tank template.

Once we get farther along I will get some more interesting/better quality pictures up! If you guys are interested, I will also include my current stock list along with possible additions. I'm planning to use my current 210g as a quarantine for the time being.

That's going to be nice and a project you two can work on together! Looking forward to following your build:)

Thanks guys :) We have been playing with this since June, and there's a ton of unseen work that's been done. The tank is plumbed under the house to the sump room, and the floor was reinforced just to be safe. We are hoping to have water in it very soon! There are a couple plumbing touch ups that need to happen before everything gets tested.

"On a budget" lol that's a good one.
Never again will ur pockets, wallets, or purses see any hard earned cash. It will b sitting in ur glass tank!
AMAZING
Go.for it. Run all three skimmers lol.
Closed loop on this baby?
Thxs for sharing.
D

This is going to be nice.

270 lbs of rock and only 10 pieces.
Lucky it wasn't a 100 pieces. lol

Before you pull the trigger on the reefbreeders fixtures, give OBD or Barrier a call and see what they could do for you.
Local companies + local service. :)

"On a budget" lol that's a good one.
Never again will ur pockets, wallets, or purses see any hard earned cash. It will b sitting in ur glass tank!
AMAZING
Go.for it. Run all three skimmers lol.
Closed loop on this baby?
Thxs for sharing.
D

Lol, of course by "on a budget" I actually mean "so I still have enough money for my mortgage." We are kidding ourselves in this hobby..

No closed loop as of yet, but I have two spare holes in the overflow that we are talking about making into one. We have an oceans motions unit that has the potential to make a really cool one.

This is going to be nice.

270 lbs of rock and only 10 pieces.
Lucky it wasn't a 100 pieces. lol

Before you pull the trigger on the reefbreeders fixtures, give OBD or Barrier a call and see what they could do for you.
Local companies + local service. :)

I had heard that Barrier carried them. I will have to try and make a trip down there to check them out in person.

A 17 foot uhaul, 6 guys, and a full weekend. We barely fit it in the truck (had to disassemble the stand), then had to get creative getting it in the house. Not the funnest part of this build by far :p

I was able to give my rock some attention last night. In the research I had done, I found that Pukani is known for leaching phosphates into the water due to all of the dead material still in the rock. I went ahead and pressure washed each piece, and tried to pull some of the gunk out. Here are some pictures:

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Next, I prepared a fresh water/white vinegar bath with about a 3:1 ratio, and let each batch of rocks sit in it for 15 minutes. After the vinegar, I rotated them through to the rinse container, and then into a tote to begin the cooking process. The vinegar eats away the outer contaminated layer of calcium carbonate on the rock, giving me a head start in the phosphate battle. I'm going to be changing out the water ever day or every other day in the totes until no phosphates are detected. More pictures of the bath process:

Thanks IPisces

mfinn - I researched this subject pretty extensively before executing it. From what I was seeing, the muriatic acid is a much harsher chemical (1:10 concentration) and disposal is something that needs to be well thought out, and it's a bit harder to purge the rock of afterwards. I would have gone that route, but I had dogs milling about and a baby in the vicinity, so I opted for the vinegar. It worked very well, I was impressed! Both procedures accomplish the same thing.

Back