520g Peninsula Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thank you, if you have any questions about anything just let me know, plus lots of knowledgeable people on here

Thanks. I'm pretty knowledgeable myself, I just like sharing with other like-minded individuals :p Most people (around here at least) don't "get" this hobby at all and think I'm crazy for wanting a huge fish tank in my living room.

Rea,

I dont think that at all..I say bring it on!!

The only suggestion I would have (coming from someone who has a 375g tank) is automate everything you can, esp the water change part. IMO, for large systems, you should be spendinig the majority of your time sitting down in front of it enjoying it RATHER than performing maintenenance on it every day.

I can perform a 160 gallon water change in about 30-45 mins, providing i have my 165g saltwater vat mixed and ready to go..

If you want pics for some ideas, let me know.

We were planning to be able to do about 100g at a time. As it is, I can do a 55g water change on my 210 by draining water and flipping a valve. I would be interested in how you do yours, but we have a tentative plan/design for a quick water change setup.

Wow! this is going to be a nice set up . The 4x8 sheet of plywood for an aquascape test footprint caught my eye first. That is a huge footprint.

Update

So this past week we finished the plumbing into the sump room. Everything in line is hooked up and we are water testing the tank/plumbing. So far, so good!

My husband installing the overflow pipes in his pajamas:

Drain area in the sump:

Hammerhead plumbed in:

Filling the sump:

Water circulating:

Filling the tank:

Full!

Don't mind all of my crap in the background, test is declared a success!

That hammerhead moves some serious water. Currently have a Tunze 6055 circulating the fresh test water for now. We plan to have fresh water in it for a week or so to verify there is no leakage anywhere. Then we will drain it, aquascape it, add sand, and refill with saltwater.

Next on the list is getting our utility sink plumbed into the sump room, hooking the RO up to that, and then building our RO holding station/mixing station. ATO will come soon after.

We are talking about doing a closed loop with an Oceans Motions unit we acquired, but unfortunately it was used and some parts were removed. We got ahold of the company and they were quick to reply (on a Sunday!) and priced some replacement parts for us. Hopefully we'll be able to integrate that in without too much trouble...

nice tank build. i also have a 4 foot by 8 foot tank. i also use a ocean motion. very cool build. will have to fallow this build

Thank you! Right now the whole thing can pretty start running with salt water - just waiting on the ability to buy lights. Our decision to construct a sump room really delayed setup more than I thought it would. In the long run it will be completely worth it though.

looking nice....I see several large angels in this tank's future (that is if you decide to go that route) :D

looking nice....I see several large angels in this tank's future (that is if you decide to go that route) :D

I suppose I should attach my tentative stocking list for you guys :typing: Current fish are spread out between a few holding tanks and my DT. Most of the big fish I already have, only a few that are still in the works. I'm big into the tang community tanks and I'm trying to gather everything before go-time so that new fish can be introduced in the proper order, but still have time to go through my quarantine procedures. I would really like to integrate a few angels - I already have my Navarchus, hopefully I've got a deal going on the Asfur, and I'm searching for a decent sized, healthy, Red Sea Regal.

Stock List, what I have....
-Achilles Tang 7-8"
-Lieutenant Tang -7-8"
-Desjardini Sailfin - 8"
-Sohal Tang - 5-6"
-Powder Blue Tang - 5"
-Purple Tang x3
-Yellow Tang x5
-Blonde Naso male 6"
-Fowleri Tang 7"
-Kole Tang 4"
-Bicolor Foxface 7"
-Female bipartitus wrasse 3.5"
-Cleaner Wrasse 3.5"
-Quoyi Parrot 6.5"
-Lyretail Anthias 1 male, 3 females
-Black Clowns x2
-Blue Chromis x2
-Juvenile Navarchus Angel 2"

Lots of fish, I know. What I have, stays. Please help me narrow down the list of possible additions (if the new tank isn't stocked as it is
1eek.gif
). I'm looking at a heavier stocking (obviously), and I'll note my reservations/concerns in this next list. I consider myself to be very experienced in the fish side of things, so don't be shy about hard to keep species.

What I am considering....
-Orange Shoulder Tang
-Chevron Tang
-Tomini Tang
-Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Pair)
-Red Sea Regal Angel
-Asfur Angel (found one, pending...)
-Squareback Anthias (single male? pair? group?)
-Black Tang/black hybrid/abberant scopas (if I can find one for a reasonable price...)
-Butterfly (of sorts... group? pair? considering yellow pyramid, yellow longnose. I think the tank is going to be too active for a copperband)
-Centropyge pair (open to suggestions on species)
-Radiant wrasse

From my experience a Red Sea Regal angel is the ONLY way to try and I would only get one from an established tank...This is a very hard to keep in captivity fish...I have tried this fish 4 times and each time they have failed to make it out of QT due to not eating..

I have had a pair of flame angels in my tank and they did great...A pair of potters angels look good, but they are susceptible to sudden death syndrome so I can't really recommend them.

I did have 4 yellow pyramid butterfly from Hawaii (HI are the only ones you want as they are hardier than then Indo) and they were great...Always out front in the tank and since they are plankton eaters they do NOT bother corals.

I have tried golden semilarvatus butterflies, but again they are too sensitive to parasitic infections and not able to get out of QT..

A pair of flame wrasse from Hawaii would add a stunning red color to the tank..but they need a canopy as they tend to be jumpers.

From my experience a Red Sea Regal angel is the ONLY way to try and I would only get one from an established tank...This is a very hard to keep in captivity fish...I have tried this fish 4 times and each time they have failed to make it out of QT due to not eating..

I have had a pair of flame angels in my tank and they did great...A pair of potters angels look good, but they are susceptible to sudden death syndrome so I can't really recommend them.

I did have 4 yellow pyramid butterfly from Hawaii (HI are the only ones you want as they are hardier than then Indo) and they were great...Always out front in the tank and since they are plankton eaters they do NOT bother corals.

I have tried golden semilarvatus butterflies, but again they are too sensitive to parasitic infections and not able to get out of QT..

A pair of flame wrasse from Hawaii would add a stunning red color to the tank..but they need a canopy as they tend to be jumpers.

I love the flame wrasses. Unfortunately my husband is a wrasse hater... something about the way they swim. I'll work on convincing him of those, but it will be a while after the tank is set up if we do. We have a canopy for the tank - it just isn't on yet. If we decide to leave it off I'll be making a screen top for the tank to prevent jumping. I am rather fond of my leopard wrasse, I'd hate to lose her to the floor. Anthias too for that matter...

I had a really evil flame angel once - nervous about trying again. Potter's were the ones I was looking at actually. I've done my research and I'll wait until the tank is mature before I try it, but I'm still willing to consider other species. Now venustus... there's one I would love to try :) Someday when I'm rich, I'll have a pair of interrupta. Being more serious now, I really like the Potter's because they aren't something that you see very often. I don't want a tank full of fish that it looks like I picked up from the local Petco if you know what I mean.

I'm aware of most of the issues that you pointed out. I have every confidence in my ability to keep a Regal thriving, provided I get one in good shape. Also, FWIW I always avoid Indo fish where possible. That will apply to the Regal and butterflies.

Since you currently 15 tangs I personally wouldn't add any more although I'm an SPS keeper.

16 ;)

I am fully prepared to keep up with my water quality, if that is your concern. I'm really thinking I won't add any more large tangs, although I've always really loved the orange shoulder. About half of the tangs on that list I've gotten since I picked up the tank - they are going through quarantine now.

wow. i have 9 tangs in my tank. i thought i had too many tangs. i also love the tang family. so what kind of lighting are you looking to put on the tank. leds?

wow. i have 9 tangs in my tank. i thought i had too many tangs. i also love the tang family. so what kind of lighting are you looking to put on the tank. leds?

Well to be fair, 8 of those are multiples ;) I keep my fish very well fed and aggression is never an issue. I'm also very careful about introduction order, and take the time to get to know my fish in quarantine before dropping them in a display. There are some people around here that call me the "Tang Whisperer" and "Tang Lady," lol... I've never seen a happier tang gang. I can't wait to see them all together in the big tank.

Yes, I'm going to be doing LEDs. I'm thinking 4 of the 32" Evergrow controllable fixtures. If I find my light isn't spreading the way I want it, I'll switch out optics or possibly add 2 more lights.

There are some people around here that call me the "Tang Whisperer" and "Tang Lady," lol...

then I am the Angel Guy..as I love my angels...have 4 in my tank now and going to be adding 4 more.. :)

I can't wait to see them :) I'm really starting to get the angel fever too. I'm trying to choose carefully as I still want a reef tank. I really won't mind having a softy/euphyllia heavy tank if it means having them. There is more movement and structure involved in those corals anyway.

Ami,

FWIW, I have a euphillya tank right now and <knock on wood> so far so good. There are certain corals I know I can't have: any open brain, zoas, bubble corals,etc.

Basically, if it does NOT have any motion, I can't have it. Sad as I love Wellsis and Trachys, so I have my office tank (36g bow) for that. :)

9422531749_5bcd73a0bc.jpg

Back