54 Corner bow closed loop drill.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bbehring

Just picked up my 54 corner bowfront with the megaflow overflow (w/ 1" overflow bulkhead and 3/4" return bulk head) which I plan to use for flow to and from my sump/refugium with return with mag-drive 7. I have a HOT backpak skimmer. My inquiry is regarding having the sides (backs) of the tank drilled for a closed loop flow system. I'd like to eliminate powerheads and heat from the tanks as much as possible. I'd like to drill for (2) - 1" outflow bulkheads that will have cone screens on them, placed about 3 to 4 inches from each side of the corner overflow box. This will be plumbed with 1" pcs down to a mag drive 7 or 9.5 and the return will have a 4 way om squirt (occelating valve) split off 4 - 3/4" return pvc brances to (2) drilled holes (high and low) about 4" off both corners. I was wondering if 1. If this All Glass brand 54 tank can actuall be drilled or if anyone has done similar drillings into the back panels of this specific tank. 2. If this seems to be a good closed loop plan. 3. If the pump size for this closed loop and tank appears to be correct (mag 7 or mag 9.5)? 4. If the placement of the overflow holes and the return holes seems optimum. Also what would be the best placment locations for the side returns from the top and bottom of the tank? Thanks in advance for any insight/input.

i don't think that you can drill that tank,although i'm not sure if the walls are tempered like the bottom is...i have a mag12 running my closed loop on my 72g...i thought it was enough flow at first, but i think it could use just a little more gph..being that you have a corner tank, the mag7 will probably be fine..if you wanted to go with the mag 9, you could put a ball valve on the return and cut the flow some if it is too much

thanks ronj. Checked with all glass today and the backs are not tempered. Also got some input from a guy with the same tank on RC and had not prob drilling the backs. I think I might go with the mag 9.5 although I've gotten some feed back that the mags are noisy if run out of water? How's yours on the noise level. I will put a ball valve to throttle back a bit if necessary. Do you have the om squirt unit also?

thanks ronj. Checked with all glass today and the backs are not tempered. Also got some input from a guy with the same tank on RC and had not prob drilling the backs. I think I might go with the mag 9.5 although I've gotten some feed back that the mags are noisy if run out of water? How's yours on the noise level. I will put a ball valve to throttle back a bit if necessary. Do you have the om squirt unit also?

i don't have the om squirt on mine..the noise is hard to tell..it used to seem loud when i first turned it on..i don't even notice it at all anymore..it depends on where you have it i guess..mine is under the stand with the door closed, so it is not real loud, but it does make some noise..you may want to take Bradreefs' suggestion..i like the mag pumps, but they produce alot of heat if you submerge them..

I have a 54rr megaoverflow. I'm running a iwaki 40rlt. I used a mag7 and mag 9.5 on the tanks previous to the external. IMO save the money on the mags and go with an iwaki!

Cheers,

Kurt

Thanks PickledFish, I'll look into the iwaki 40rlt. Pretty happy with it. Low heat and low noise? No performance issues?

Na, low noise, cool to touch, a lot of flow! I have mine elbowed 5 times before it gets to the seaswirl and i have plenty of flow!

54 corners can't hide from me. hahahahaha. Cool dude, you gonna post a thread here on your build so we can follow along?

dandy 7200, man, you're right there is no hiding from you! I do plan to post a build thread as I go along. It will simply be a slow process as my time permits in the procurement of equipment phase and readying the tank for wet test. Couple of questions: I spoke with Paul at Oceans Motions and he provided me with a fine plan to install the 4 way squirt. I was wondering, he appeared to be quite satisfied with supply and return of the closed loop over the top with no drilling. Could be an aesthetic personal preferance? What's your thoughts on this? On search on his site/forums, it appears that it's about 50/50. Also noticed some with drilled supply but over the top returns. Also regarding pump choices. I'm looking at Gen-X PCX40(mak4) or the Pan World 50px-x. I could step down 1 series for a bit lighterflow since I will not be keeping sps corals. Just looking to keep softies, LPS and a couple clams.

To keep you all up to date. Decisions and purchases made thus far. I will post photos soon of equipment only. Working to get the closed loop supply & return holes drilled in the tank back panels (hopefully Thursday, if not some time next week).

Closed Loop System: Pump: PanWorld 50PXX-MD30X External Water Pump - 1110gph w/ Oceanmotion OM Super Squirt Compact 4-way. System will be plumbed with 2 - 1" supply bulkheads and 4 - 3/4" return bulkeads. 1 supply and 2 returns in each back panel.

Lighting: Sunlight SILVER Maristar 24" 1x250watt w/T5 Package w/ PFO 1Watt Extreme LED Moon Light - flat mount
Sump/refugium: 20"lx10"wx18"h. 5" DSB with Cheato with CF lighting. Pending order and receipt.

Skimmer/Filter: Freedom Flow hang on the back. Unit has built in skimmer and mag drive 7 pump. Testing this unit for the LFS and Freedom Filters. Hope to have good results in combination with the refugium and high flow closed loop. This will also provide another 500 gph turnover to the tank, plus raw water skim/filter. I can also place carbon or poly filter media inside if needed. This seems to be a very highly crafted, compact unit. Can't wait to give a whirl. I have left room in my sump, just incase this unit does not pan out and I need to add a separate skimmer

Back