540g Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey PR welcome aboard!! I just got back online, how we doing here?? have you got a plan in place??

Glad you got your computer sorted out Mojo. You've got a lot of homework to catch up on (LOL)...The king of flow is in da house!!! Definately nothing to worry about now prcoverage.

Ok PR where are we at?? The tank deal sounds like a good deal. So from my understanding you are going to have one of the ends as your overflow?? then make a manifold to return water from a closed loop??

Whats the plan on where and what the closed loop return is going to be located??

Mike

so far your on it unless you think of something better. I was going to do the closed loop from right side into the manifold with 8 jets hitting the wall ( 4 on each side ) to bounce to the coral which doesn't touch the walls just down the center. was figuring a dolpin on the closed(gph? ) and 2 2" ( may be much)going down to the fuge and skimmer. BTW still working on skimmer and pump back so would like your input there also.

Glass tanks can be a challenge when it comes to trying to get dynamic flow, you loose the ability to drill holes and then dont want to have a bunch of exposed piping hanging all over the place.

On the overflow are you making that out of glass to or are you going with an acrylic insert?? also how are your acrylic skills?? I was thinking it would be nice to build the output of the CL into some acrylic square tubing and running across the front and back of the tank down low on the bottom??

I was thinking more of something like "dgasmd" has on top (manifold) and having a back to front overflow on right side with 2 holes drilled for the intake and then 2 holes on the bottom of overflow for the drain for that so just 4 holes .. does that make sense? Do you not think that bouncing the flow off the walls will keep everything moving if all the coral is in the middle of the tank?

To a point PR. you have to remember you have a trap on the bottom, sand will naturally hold detritus (as will any bottom substraight) and you cant blow flow into it to get it back into circulation again. Having flow all on top will naturally push the detritus down to the bottom of the tank. This is why I was leaning more to having the manifolds on the bottom of the tank blowing up, this would make it easier to keep the stuff in the water column and then make it available for the corals and to be removed via the overflows.

just some thoughts

Mike

Here are the pictures of the wall I'm going to take out. So this way I will have 14 ft wall with 3 sides viewable

Mojo what I ment by thaqt was having the closed loop come up from the bottom of the tank and put the coral around the heads so no one can see them

Yes Pr you can do that. What you basically need to do when doing up a design is to try to think of what the originally trying to do.. You want to keep detrius in suspension, airate the water, create random flow. Also you want to be able to access the flow fittings so you can do maintence and repair on when needed. If your system will take care of those for ya, its a winner

Mike

I was looking around and saw some idea's about the tunze's and putting them in the hidaway rocks they have. Maybe 4 6000 units one in each corner mounted in the hidaway coral pointing up.May need 6 even with 2 more in middle. This way alot less electric, easy to hid and good flow from bottom of tank. Would that be enough movement and has anyone used those rocks?

Back