55 gallon canopy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
Well i am thinking of making a canopy for my 55 gallon and i would like know if anybody has made one in the past and can anybody tell me the measurements for the wood? I have no idea on what do do to make one. Well thanks alot ppl.

porksoda

I haven't made one but I do have a 55gal so I am curious.

And, if I may give you 2 cents worth of free advice...

Don't start a DIY project like this without a tape-measure! :eek:

That is so true :) .

A tape measure... I will remember that.

I have a 55 gal. and I also am very interested in making a canopy that would support metal halides, fans and "stuff". Although to be honest DIY is still a ways down the road for me. :(

-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/twilliard/100_0090.jpg

That is one I made for my 110G
You can see where I added to it to fit my MH setup.
Its easy to do if you have time and a little bit of wood working knowledge.
Oh and this canopy puts mt MH's about 9" from the top of the water.
Its two 6" sections built on top of each other. First 6" was for straight VHO's then added another 6" for the halides.
The canopy fits right around the tank and I use 4 small wood blocks to let the canopy sit right on top of the tank. Then a hinged cover and completely open back for all the closed loop plumbing.
I hope that helped a little.

Todd

LOL no it doesnt get hot.
What I have is 3-12"X12" vents on the top. No fans required ;) the cool air comes in through the open back and hot air out the top.

These are two that I built. I like the doors on the front. I made the frame out of 2x2's, then clad the outside with some sort of finishing wood. I left the back open on both. The first one was modifed later on so that the reflectors were turned 90 degrees, and the CF lights were hung futher away from the MH's.

The second one was also modified later so the light woudl fit inside the canopy so it coudl be closer to the water surface.

MHPCcombo.jpg

finishedcanopy.jpg

DSCF0002-2.jpg

DSC04877-small.jpg

Last edited:
i made one for a 55 gallon tank here is a picture of it sitting on a 20l and a 10
The unit has 5 outlets the single outlet is on a switch. As you can see from the side there is plenty of room for air to move through it. A fan could easily be installed on the end opposite the power outlets.
P1000577.jpg

The wood is 1x4"s

my canopi

i just design this one is my 55 gl tank too.

I made the disgn but to be onest i send it to a carpinter. but you can take some Ideas

the upper hole is for a 120mm fan I run 2 MH Sunpod 250W and the fan keep the heat out. I have a chiller too that helps but the fan really make the job. all dors are destachables.

Last edited:
Little tip on the canopy... for the length add 1/2 inch total.. for a quarter of inch of room on each side. I added a 1/4 inch for my 55 and it was sooo tight.. I had to work it on and stretch the wood some. I was almost in tears that it didn't fit for a while until i worked it on. Also kinda stressful putting pressure on my tank. Heres pics of my 55 canopy!

This one is built like a tank.. all four of my cats lay on it from time to time.

Lets see.. 8 lb, 12lb, 18lb, 15lb - 53lbs? is that correct?

I dont like how the plywood painted tho.. should have used a fine sanded side.

Also notice my DIY skimmer that flooded my floor several times.. never got it working right.. so I donated it to the sanitation department. Suprised no one just grabbed it because people always walk around and grab things by our dumpster. heh

Back