55 gallon-drilling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kriswaters

Ok, for those who visit many forums, this could be a duplicate question. Otherwise I wanted to ask an opinion.

55 gallon acrylic was given to me and I plan on using this as a starter tank.

I want to drill for the overflows and want advice:

A) Drill in each corner to provide two overflows on opposite ends.

B) Drill in the middle/back of the tank for one overflow.

As far as the returns:

A) Two from the middle pointing opposite.

B) Two from the sides pointing into the middle.

I plan on using a SCWD with one pump and a generalized return for the other pump.

I just glued my 20 gallon sump together and will use two pumps to protect myself in case one fails.

Thanks,

Kris

when you say in the corner are you talking about in the bottom of the tank? is the tank tempered? by the way welcome to RF!

Welcome to RF Kris!:) As for the drilling and the overflows, one is just as good as the other IMO. It all depends on what look you want as you can accomplish the same amount of flow with either or surface skimming depending on how they are designed. I think it will be more of a personal opinion and if you want to have 2 overflows that will require 2 drains plumbed into one sump or just one overflow to make it simple. Where the flow is concerned, it will all depend on which overflow setup you go with. Center overflow and you'll want the flow setup up on either sides and 2 corner overflows, you have to use a bit different placement. IMO, I'd say to see if you can figure out which overflow setup will accomodate/suit your needs best first and then we can tackle the flow layout:)

Just a few thoughts...Good luck on the project:)

is the tank tempered?
It is acrylic
I would do one overflow in the center for that size tank. Also I would put the returns on opposite ends pointing to the center.
You mentioned two pumps. Is one for a CL and the other a return? Not sure I follow this?
I just glued my 20 gallon sump together and will use two pumps to protect myself in case one fails.

One overflow in the middle should be plenty enough sump flow for a 55. I would probably drill the two returns in the top corners facing the front and use locline fittings so I could adjust the flow wherever was necessary depending on aquascaping. What looks good on paper doesnt always work in the real world. Loc lines will allow you to change your mind.

I plan on using a SCWD with one pump and a generalized return for the other pump.
Two return pumps is not necessary for your tank. Just use a CL for the additional flow you need and that will serve as your back up in case of a pump failure. If you run both systems throught the sump you may have micro bubble issues an you will also need bigger bulkheads and plumbing.. You have the right idea but the secondary system is not usually ran through the sump. Hence the Closed Loop. It is also nice to have the secondary flow system so that when you are working on one (or even take the sump off line for cleaning), the second will keep your critters breathing easy so you dont have to hurry.

Cool, sounds good. As for the return: One pump will power a CL SCWD and the other pump will be a general return. I will (and had planned on) using lock line for directional changes as needed.

Thanks a bunch.

Kris

OH...glad to be here!

if it was my tank i would drill the 2 corners put 2 small over flow box in each side.... then have the single return From the center rear pointed strait ahead....

then useing 2 tunze nano's I would place them under the corner box's faceing where the return is pointed.....

that would cause a very nice spin

That's a good idea as well. With a blank slate, I am sure there are alot of options. I really like the idea of alternating wave makers. I also still would like to go with 2 return pumps = to the pump on my skimmer. I guess I fear that everything fails eventually.

Thanks,

Kris

I wouldnt do any overflows in a 55, space is a premium as it is. I would use a in tank durso drilled through the back.

Don

I do realize that I can use a wave controler on the powerheads as well....hmmmmmmmm.

2 return pumps=overkill?????

Start with one and add another later?????

Lots to ponder.

Kris

I wouldnt do any overflows in a 55, space is a premium as it is. I would use a in tank durso drilled through the back.

Don

Correct you are. I have decided to use the external durso drilled through the back (have the bulkhead). I think that one overflow for this tank is plenty.

I think I will go with one return pump (for now) and two powerheads on a wave controller. Omitting the originally pland SCWD.

Thanks,

Kris

PS Just secured a deal on LR! Very exciting.

very cool ! any pics yet?

I guess I am a little shy. The 55 gallon was given to me. It was my mom's and a FW tank before. I had to use a sanding kit and alot of elbow grease to get alot of scratches out. Right now it is empty and well, ugly. I will take some pics of the sump and perhaps the tank to show. I guess before and after.

I am really excited, as I just mixed up my first 20 gallons of SW. I will be picking up some live rock tomorrow evening and placing it in the tub until the tank is 100% ready to go.

Will drill for the bulk head tonight.
Will test the sump tomorrow (pray for no leaks).
Probably get more plumbing stuff on Thursday.
I have a four day weekend coming up soon so I will try to move the tank to it's location, set up sump and plumb.
Oh, also ordered two power heads today. Went with two Koralia Water Circulation Pumps and a wavemaster controller.

All in all, spent about 300 today on stuff....salt, test kit, rubbermaid container...SG meter, heater. It's ok though. Have been saving for some time. All I need now is a return pump.

Wish me luck and I will try to post some pictures.
;)
Kris

Still trying to figure out this pic thing, but here is what I got so far. By the way, I did say previously that I was a little shy. I know the tank is not very attractive NOW, but give me time, as I can not fail.

Kris

tank002.jpg

tank001.jpg

tank005.jpg

tank007.jpg

Wow, have I lagged on this forum. I now have my tank up and running. It been nearly 30 days. I purchased 4 snails the other day, and they have cleaned my tank to the hilt! All the params are intact and I am waiting for a few more supplies...ie lights and a refractometer.

Here are a few pics of the tank up!

Kris

24 hours after set up. The Octopus NW150 cleared the sand storm in 8 hours.
tank001-2.jpg

Full tank shot.
tank002-4.jpg

The skimmer section of the sump
tank005-2.jpg

The fuge in progress.
tank003-3.jpg

I built about 70 lbs of DIY rock. I will add it in in about 3 weeks. That should really boost the aqua-scaping!

Kris

As for the "sponges"....I clean them every two days! The one on the return is a must as the line is 2 inches out of the water. For some reason, that durso has the toilet bowl effect. That was the only solution (of many tried) that worked. I will eventually move to spa-flex to cut out the elbows.

Kris

I have the same tank ( size)
What size is your sump?
Bulkheads? how many holes drilled?
pump gph?

My sump is 22 gallons. The return area is about 10 gallons and the skimmer about 8 gallons. The rest is a small fuge. I have two 1" bulkheads in the upper back corners of the tank with 1" durso (external) drains. One drains to the skimmer section and one to the fuge.

I have a mag 7 that pumps about 500 gph plus two Hydor K-1's that move about 400 gph.

I just moved my power heads around, and cleaned all of my sand. :)

Kris

Back