6 foot tank, 4 foot light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Hey all Im wondering if this would work. Im wanting to upgrade my tank to a 125g long so some of my fish would have swim room like my Hippo tang and my very colorful Wrasse.
I would stack all the rock and corals under the light in the middle of the tank and maybe some no light or very low light light corals on the ends but my main concern is the swim room for the fish. Now their in a 75g and they are slowly out growing it. I could do a 125 high but I think that would defeat my purpose of more swim room. I thinking this can work as long I dont keep light thirsty corals on the ends. What does every onr think? cans this work or will I need to upgrade the lighting too?

By the way, for lighting I have a Nova extreme 8x54 (432watt) t5 light over the 75 with excellent growth.

I don't see why it won't work if you keep the more light demanding corals under the light. . It might not look as nice with the dark outter edges (1ft on each end of the tank if the light is centered) but could still work. The height difference between the standard 125gal and the 75gal isn't much at all if I remember correctly. JMHO :)

I don't think that the ends will be that dark, and it will give you an opportunity to have a few lower-light corals. Plus, probably reduce the algae growth on the glass on the ends of the tank.

Thaks for the reply guys... As for the algae growth Im thinking it may allow for a different color other than pink...I have noticed a very deep red and a very interesting blue/grey calcerous algae in my sump under the two 5700k lights.but like I said Im wanting more room for the two swimmers I have.

Yes, it will work until you inevitably run out of room "under the light" and need more space for more corals, but in the mean time go for it.

Back