Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

alittletank

orange cap last oct
812PA120016_Medium_-med.JPG

orange cap april
8121_orange_Capricaornus_Large_Medium_-med.JPG

812PA080013_Medium_-med.JPG

81214_sps_purple_tips_Medium_-med.JPG

WOW!! Awesome! I love to see progression shots - especially coral growth.

that's amazing growth. my orange cap hasn't grown near that much in the 6 months i've had it. it was a small quarter size frag though when i got mine. it's probably quadrupled in size since then and it's just now starting to create a circle with sides. (easiest way to describe it). what is your secret? calcium reactor? lighting? flow?

mattseattle said:
what is your secret? calcium reactor? lighting? flow?

I just added the Cal reactor. I had one before aug 03 but after it malfunctioned I didnt hook it back up.

lighting is 250 x2 MH ushio 10K
110 x 2 VHO actinic

flow is approx 800 gal per hr on two sea swirl returns (both with "Y" spliters on the output)

I did keep the Cal above 400 with turbo cal and nitrates undetectable (salifert test kits for all)

My secret? Kevinpo is my LFS owner :D

Allen

yeah i'm running 2x250w 6.5k iwaski's and 2x110 VHO super blues for coloring.

what size tank? also what is your placement of the orange cap? how far under the lights? i had mine pretty close to the lights till recently and i moved it about half way down the tank. it never lost its color but not growing like i think it should.

I made a mistake, that orange cap growth was from oct- feb. here is a tank shot from friday.

90 gal AG RR
812apr_04_HQI_Large_Medium_.JPG

the center swirl has broke off (accidental fragging) but the rim has turned in and the left side has grown higher

the bulb is directly above the cap however the cap is at the bottom.

Matt

Ours is mid-level to lower and under saki's. I have one under high flow and it has thickened up and has stayed like a plate. It's about 5/16" thick in the middle and about 7" across.. The other one's are in low flow and are not as thick or as big but have started to whirl up. Keep the calicum up.

:D

Last edited:
It always is nice to see results of this type, I guess it means your doing somethig really right. Great post, nice looking Reef you have there in that glass box.:)

The Spokane Reef club meeting was held at Allen's house last month so I was able to see his tank in person it looks even better than the picture. The center area where you can see the back through the rock looks awesome in person as the halide flickers behind the rock on the back wall. I would recommend this to others who might be setting up a tank. The effect is very cool!

Regards,
Kevin

Back