600 Gallon Mixed Reef: Looking for input

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sixxer

Hello all,

I have placed an order for a 600 gallon 96x48x30 acrylic tank this past week. The tank construction will start within the next 3 weeks according to the manufacturer. This gives me around 3 weeks to decide for sure where I want my holes drilled for closed loops, returns, etc.

The tank is being built with an external overflow on the right hand side (tank is being set-up as 3 sided viewing penninsula).

I am thinking of running an OM-8way off of a Sequence Barracuda pump along with Tunze Streams, and of course my returns driven by an Iwaki100.

I am also kicking around the idea of using surge tanks at each end of the tank rather than running a closed loop for more natural flow, and of course energy savings.

Just looking for anyones input/opinions on where to place the holes for a closed loop.

The tank will consist of mixed corals as well as a larger number of fish than the usual reefs that I have seen on all the forums. I also have a 360 sump and plan on adding a 150 gallon+ refugium to increase my total water volume.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

This will be a great tank! Sounds like your drilling will be limited to the side not visible. Are you going to have a substrate? If so, how deep. It might make a difference with hole placement. Have you thought about incorporating a manifold along the top of the tank, to bring flow to the other end of the tank? I'm trying to visualize how it would be done with 3 of the sides being visible. I think with a closed loop you can also have inputs come up through the bottom of the tank, but I'll let the more experienced plumbing gurus tackle that one. Dgasmd has a thread on his 750 gallon, and he has plumbing running along the top of the tank to provide flow along the length of the tank.

Hope this helps a bit....I'm tagging along....

I have considered a manifold over the top a la DGASMD's set-up, I am going to have the top drilled with 8 1" holes just incase I go with a manifold or in case I decide to add Sea-Swirls.

I plan to have an approx 3" deep sand bed

I was thinking of having a hole drilled thru the end of the tank the overflow is located on for a closed loop drain, and closed loop holes at each of the four corners of the tank bottom and maybe two holes in the middle.

We will have trim around the bottom of the tank that will conceal about 2" to 3" to help hide a majority of the sand bed and hopefully any closed loop returns.

Any opinions on going with Tunzes/Seio's as opposed to a closed loop set-up?

The tank will be a mixed reef with a pretty decent bio-load as well.

Keep pumps/powerheads out of the tank, if at all possible. It will look nicer without them, and pump maintenance will be much easier.

You may want to consider building some pipe outlets into the rockwork. Especially near the front of the tank, aimed towards the back. They can be almost completely hidden, and will help with circulation.

You can do this by 1) drilling rocks and stacking them on top of a vertical pipe. At appropriate locations, you can put T's in the vertical pipe for outlets.
(so you put a rock on the stack, then a T on the top of the pipe, then another rock, etc. With as little planning you can cut the pipes to correct heights).
You can also do this by 2) making aragocrete around the pipes.

The horizontal pipes feeding your vertical stacks can come across the bottom of the tank, buried in the sand. Connect them to the drilled holes in the back.

Last edited:
sixxer said:
I am thinking of running an OM-8way off of a Sequence Barracuda pump along with Tunze Streams, and of course my returns driven by an Iwaki100.

I am also kicking around the idea of using surge tanks at each end of the tank rather than running a closed loop for more natural flow, and of course energy savings.

You will need more than a single barracuda for that size tank. More like 2-3 unless you are adding the tunze streams. I would suggest you go with a different pump like a high volume sequence pump for your return as the iwaki is an energy hog for the water volume moved and it adds plenty of heat to the water too. As far as the surge tanks go, I would forget about them. They are a nic concept, but one that proves to be extremely impractical for 99.9% of us.

If you are going to go with close loops only, I would consider simplifying things and maybe getting rid of the sea swirls too. It is more things to set up, consume electricity, and someothing else to break down later on. However, if you decide to go with them, you may be able to get away with using 2 barracudas and 6 sea swirls (3 on each long side) only for the close loops.

If you plan to go with tunze streams, for that size of a tank you'll likely need at least 4 of the 6200 to start, but I suspect in reality you'll need 6 depending on your aquascape.

Sounds like a nice project. Good luck. By the way, weren't you the guy doing a huge concrete tank in the basement??

I really want to keep the entire viewing area free of all cords and equipment/powerheads, however my biggest fear with drilling the closed loop in the bottom of the tank is that if a bulkhead or seal ever goes bad the entire system could empty onto the floor. I will have a drip tray with a drain built in under the tank to save any damage to the home, but still concerned with loss of all livestock.

I guess the manifold set-up is a way around that (somewhat). I guess I could also have the builder install a false wall in front of the overflow to hide Tunzes/Seio's.

dgasmd said:
If you plan to go with tunze streams, for that size of a tank you'll likely need at least 4 of the 6200 to start, but I suspect in reality you'll need 6 depending on your aquascape.

Sounds like a nice project. Good luck. By the way, weren't you the guy doing a huge concrete tank in the basement??

Alberto,

Yes, the huge concrete tank in the basement was my project. A couple of things changed my mind about that set-up (after many hours of labor). 1) Spending too much time in the basement alone was starting to feel like prison! 2) Wife told me if I did finish the concrete tank that I had no chance of ever getting approval to do the fishroom addition off the living room in the future.

I plan on having a pretty wide open aquascape, I cannot stand the "Wall of Rocks" look, plus being able to view from three directions I plan to keep the aquascaping down low in the tank thru the middle and possibly a little higher on one end and one corner.

Here is a photo of the soon to be sump!

MVC-015F.jpg

and temp. livestock tank
MVC-025S.jpg

and some of the livestock swimming around
MVC-029S.jpg

Sixxer - I don't know if you have ever seen Tankgirl's old 260 gallon tank, but it was one of the tanks that really inspired me. It was a walk around, viewable from 3 sides.

West side of the tank

WSide01.jpg

The walk around end

TankEndSmall.jpg

Another of the end

Space.jpg

The East side

ESide01.jpg

The East side arch
ArchEast.jpg

Across the top

DownAcrossTop.jpg

Anyway, I thought another beautiful tank would give you some more ideas.

Thanks for the photos! It's always good motivation to see such nice tank set-ups.

Sixxer I can't wait to see the outcome of your tank! I was just laying here telling my wife about the size tank you are getting. Your refugium alone will hold more water than my whole system! Are you looking for someone to adopt? (LOL) I had this picture saved on my computer...I'm always adding to my collection. Is this similar to what you are getting? Good luck with your project...I hope all goes well.

Krish,

That tank looks almost identical to my friends tank which is 108"x24"x48".

My tank will be as wide as that tank in the photo is tall.

Wow...That's really nice. It will look great! I love the fact that you are going to be different with your setup. We tend to get to use to the conventional rectangular tanks and sometimes we need someone to come along to offer some diversity. It's very good to know that your pocket can support it (LOL). Good luck on getting everything together and I'll keep my eyes peeled for your future posts.

Thanks Krish,

I will make sure to keep a photo journal of the process.

Maybe once it's set-up you could send me some fish from your backyard?(Bahamas)!!! LOL!!!!!

Can't wait, but I know it's going to be a long process.

Maybe once it's set-up you could send me some fish from your backyard?(Bahamas)!!! LOL!!!!!

No problem...Like I've said before, "I'm always looking for a reason to go in the water" (you know with a wife, you got to find some excuse to go (LOL)

Can't wait, but I know it's going to be a long process
I know what you mean, but patience will pay off. I rushed the first time and....Let's not get into that again (LOL)

Thanks Mojo,

I can only hope it turns out as nicely as your tank did!!!!

I am hoping to get a delivery date on the tank sometime this coming week.

It should be way better then mine! The odd shaped tanks are very cool, have you come up with a plan to plumb it up yet??

Mike

At this point I think I am going to go with a manifold on a closed loop, and build a false wall into the right end of the tank to house 5 or more Tunze Streams. I really just don't want to worry about any closed loop returns in the bottom of the tank leaking at some point.

Back