600 Gallon Mixed Reef: Looking for input

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WOW! That's awesome! You must be soooo excited! I am no where near where you are on my project, and I am extatic! :D

Here is the tank, had just unwrapped it and still on the skid at this point!
MVC-033S.jpg

sixxer I to am from ohio and am getting ready for a new tank.Mine will be smaller than yours a bout 300 to 400 gallons.goodluck to you one the new tank.can i ask who is making yours?

I have two questions:

1) Would 14" of open space above the tank be enough for lighting?

2) Does it really matter how far my water drops from the overflows to the sump?

Made some progress on the display tanks stand last night. A few items left to do (probably less than an hours worth of work) and it will be ready for the tank.

MVC-031S.jpg

MVC-029S.jpg

600stand.jpg

600stand2.jpg

Very nice looking. Is your tank going to be open on 3 sides?

I don't think it matters the length you have the overflow, its your return you have to worry about. As long as your pumps can handle the flow to and from the sump your all good.

Oh man - I can't wait to see the tank on the stand. Sump looks great in place, too.

As for the space above the tank....I think that 14" should be fine. What kind of reflectors are you using? I would make sure there is enough room for the reflectors. How far off the water surface were you planning on having the bulbs?

With regards to the overflow - as Detri posted, I think it will depend on your return pump. You want to have your drains large enough that they provide the sump with enough water for the return pump. (i.e. you don't want your return pump sucking the sump dry because there isn't enough water brought to the sump by the drains).

Hope this helps.

I was looking at using the Luminarc 3 reflectors. Bulbs only 3" or so off the water.

I was going to use the Sequence 5800 for my return pump(s). I had the tank drilled with 4 two inch holes in the overflow to allow as much drainage as possible, doubt I will use all 4 as drains.

Got the tank up on the stand tonight

MVC-036S.jpg

Still have to get in it and clean it up, but at least it's finally up. Now time to get the concrete drill and make some holes in the wall for plumbing!!!!:D

ohh woouu sixxer that's a kewl tank, you should call it the monster tank :) i can't wait to see it finished !!
can we come by and swim in there too ?

Back