75g Build... Finally!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
I just finished the stand and got the tank and lights installed. Took a couple pics just barley cleared up, also im looking for a new sump about 30-45 gal if anyone know any models that are reasonably priced let me know, mine does not have a bubble trap and its releasing tons of micro bubbles from the skimmer. I was thinking i could add one however it would just be better to buy a new one considering im planning to upgrade in the future anyways. Everything seems to be ok except my RBTA, it has completely shrunk up and has a greenish color underneath the red tips which i have never seen before. i turned the lights off, and tried to feed it but it would not take anything. So i checked the water and its 1.0025 sg, 8.4 ph, 450 calcium, 8 kh, 0 nitrates, and 0 phosphates. I used pure ro with oceanic salt which is the same salt i have been using and i acclimated everything back to the tank for about 2 hours. Transferred all the LR in a tub completely covered with water and kept the water circulating during the move and same with the sand. I added one bag of new sand and two 20lbs of new sand for the DSB in the fuge. Any ideas? Il post some pics tonight after i get home from work. Im not to crazy about the aquascape so il do some rearranging tonight as well.

I have to get a new camera although il will post some from my phone but they are not very good i hope i will get some tonight from my gfs camera. I am wondering though, my tank has been at about 82, is there anyway i can lower this without getting a chiller? I cant afford one at this point. Im guessing as long as the temp doesnt rise it should be ok but i would rather it be at more like 78-79.

actinics only
2009-11-12123454.jpg

2009-11-12123507.jpg

anemone all closed up
2009-11-13142731.jpg

feather duster
2009-11-13142806.jpg

Side view
2009-11-13142911.jpg

sump bubble magus nac6 and mag 7 return with old 2x24 t-5 ho
2009-11-13142709.jpg

2009-11-13142851.jpg

hopefully will be replacing the octopus powerhead with an mp40 soon, but i want to get another sump first so i can get rid of all the micro bubbles in the display.

Last edited:
Sorry about the poor quality pics will get some more tonight.

im guessing the anemone is just acclimating to the new tank and lights, hopefully at least, im just watching it to make sure it goesnt get worse but looks better today.

here is a list of the fish i am thinking about let me know if you see any issues with what im suggesting, as for the tangs on the list i know my tank is small for them but i plan to upgrade to a 3-400g in the next year when my lease is up and plan on getting small ones for now unless you think i should just wait entirely. Also i listed like 5 but im planning on only getting two or maybe one, depending on if they would get along or not.

convict tang
naso blonde tang
chevron tang**
yellow tang
achilles tang**
green mandarin goby
blue star leopard wrasse
blue flasher wrasse
snowflake clowns
diamond goby
cleaner shrimp
sexy shrimp

elegance coral
frogspawn coral
plate coral neon green and pink long tentacle
leather todadstool yellow
capricornis-purple
galaxea coral

I really want a chevron tang and i know they can be in a 75 ok, im concerned if the achilles would get along with it or which two tangs would get along the best that i listed.
I aslo would like to add some more zoos and some clams.

Last edited:
Yeah, just about everyone is going to say 'no' on the tangs. You could get a way with MAYBE one if it's small enough when you buy it. If it were me, I'd just wait. My personal preference is for lots of smaller fish over a few large ones....small gobies, blennies (tail spot!) and fairy wrasses: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/hcs3/index.php.
Heat you can reduce with a fan blowing over your sump or tank top. I think I've read that Mag pumps are notorious for running hot so that could be a major source of your heat issue. On the mico-bubbles, how long has your skimmer been running? If it's les than a coupole weeks, it's probably not broke in and that is your source of bubbles. Happend to me with m Octo 150. Once it broke in, they all disappeared.

Last edited:
So i checked the water and its 1.0025 sg, 8.4 ph, 450 calcium, 8 kh, 0 nitrates, and 0 phosphates. I used pure ro with oceanic salt which is the same salt i have been using and i acclimated everything back to the tank for about 2 hours.

You meant 1.025 sg and 8.0 dKH, right? And I would gradually bump up the salinity to 1.026. How are you measuring your salinity/sg?

An inexpensive way to cool your tank down a couple degrees is to place a clip-on fan so that it is blowing over your sump. That will increase your evaporation, so you will need to top off more water every day.

g

GAS4544-Ya sorry i did mean 1.025 and 8 dKH. I was in a hurry for work so i didn't read over it. I will look into a fan for the sump. I was also thinking of rasising the salinity now that i got an ATO system. Im using a regular hydrometer for now.

Chichas01- i figured on the tangs but i thought i would check and see il just wait to get them when i upgrade. Also the skimmer is not broken in only been running for about 3 days since i got the tank set up. Its also running pretty wet is this normal? My last skimmer never did but then again it was a POS.

The RBTA is looking better and has moved completely underneath the rock, it did this in the 30g as well im not sure if mine is unhealthy or what but what can i do to get it to stay out where you can see it? I thought the new lights would help it get more nutrients and be healthier but it doesnt seem to like the light at all ( kind of seems silly). If i turn the lights off 30 minutes later he is fully open and when i turn them on he closes up.

Update on tank will post pics tomorrow hopefully but i got a maxima clam, and a pink leather toadstool today for great prices. Added some LR and finally found a happy place for my RBTA. I do have a question the toadstool seems to be happy its not getting lots of flow but a decent amount and it seems happy, will i need to feed it anything?

toadstool leather was not quite open yet il get a better pic later. Everything looks good my camera is not the best but its better than my phone. let me know what u think.

Its an octopus cv~202b dual prop 3000gph. Foe 40 bucks i like it way more than korallia pumps because the fkow is adjustable. It is big however it is quiet abd doesnt seem to get hot at all.i got it at premiumaquitcs

Back