75G return suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ico2004

I have a 75G with a MagDrive for return. I would like to switch to a external. I have a 4' head, what are your suggestions? I was thinking Iwaki 20RLT.

THanks,
jason

I would suggest looking at the velocity pumps, they are really quiet. Also, I have heard good things about the pan world pumps, very similar to the iwaki.
-chris

What flow rate can your overflow handle?? That will probably determine what size pump you'd need which it turn will determine which brand you should look into. Just a thought :)

Honestly, I don't know what the flow limit of my overflow is. Its an oceanic 75G. I will do some research, but wouldn't it be very hard to overcome the flow limits of the overflow???

Honestly, I don't know what the flow limit of my overflow is. Its an oceanic 75G. I will do some research, but wouldn't it be very hard to overcome the flow limits of the overflow???

The flow limit of your overflow will be dependent on the size (width) or your overflow box, and the size of you drain pipe/bulkhead. I believe the typical overflow will drain ~1000 gph for ever 8 inches of teeth, and a 1 inch bulkhead will drain ~900 gph. The 20RLT is suited for pressure applications, whereas the 20RLXT is better suited for flow applications like the drain/return setup you're doing. Unless your overflow and bulkhead are atypically small the 20RLXT (rated at 540gph@4' of head) should do just fine.

Back