75gallon tank design help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

winggee

I'm going to be drilling my 75 gallon tank for bulk heads this weekend. the diagram below is what i plan on doing, Except for the overflow and sump drain being the right side of the tank. All holes are going to 1.5" I'm going to be using a quietone 6000 for the sump and i haven't decided on the closed loop. I was thinking of a amp master pump. but i need it to be quiet. any suggestions?

tankdesign.jpg

I guess since nobody is saying anything, this will be fine. I'm going to pick up finn's little giant pumps and use both pumps for the closed loop. Use the 1.5" drain to feed both pumps. since these pumps are 1" i'm just going to drill the tank for the 1.5" pipes and use a converter to bring it back to 1" might debate on using a scwd on them.

I don't know very much about drilling...I've got glass(LOL). I'm surprised nobody jumped on this yet, but they will. It looks pretty good to me though. Have you looked at the pictures of Mike (Mojoreef's) tank when he put it together? If not, you should check it out. He did a lot of drilling etc. I think it's in the members showcase forum titled "Building the Beast" Check that out if you haven't already. HTH

just be sure your overflow can handle the extra draw of the closed loop. I wouldn't put the cl input in the overflow. I'd locate it in the tank so your overflow to the sump isn't fighting with your CL for the same water. Just my opinion. You may have enough flow to be OK.

Thanks for the reply Reed! I've thought about that. I guess I thought it would be ok, because since it is a closed loop, that the water would return almost instantly, and wouldn't cause that big of an issue. The only potential issue I see is that, if the CL pumps are flowing way too much, then it could starve the sump. My logic behind that is that the water level in the overflow may drop below the sump drain.

I plan on running the two little giant pumps for the closed loop (~1100gph x2 = 2000gph not including head loss). Maybe 1800gph. The sump retun pump is about 1500gph not including head loss. Maybe an issue?

Only reason I picked to put the CL input with the overflow, is because of aesthetics and to keep objects from getting sucked into it. How do people normally filter out the the CL input? a screen? does anybody else see an issue with placing the CL input with the overflow?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You might be right. I'm not really sure on that one. I've just seen others cautioned on the before. I, and many others, use a strainer on the intake. They are black and blend into the background pretty well, but I understand your want to keep it out of sight.

The big thing is to make sure you can get enough water over the overflow and to the intake to prevent it from cavitating.

I guess worse case scenario would be that I need a bigger sump return pump and or decrease the flow through the CL pump.

Thanks!

Back