8/7 the night the lights went out

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

So I come home from work to find that the power is off due to a fire at the transformer. Of course I am freaking out and run to Home Depot to rent a gas generator. Not knowing anything about them I get the one they have which is 3000 watts which did not seem to be enough to run everything at full speed.

I do not want to run to Home Depot whenever a power outage occurs and now that I am setting up another tank I do not want to have to freak out for two tanks.

What is the best generator to buy that would supply enough power and do they have any other kind other than gas operated.

Thanks.

solar w/ battery backup....... no really, i know the feeling but dont have an answer.

FWIW, all you really need to do is run the return pump in the event of an outage t
This will take care of circulation AND aeration. Or a powerhead with a venturi in the main tank, and if there was no circulatin in the sump for any more than a couple of hours just toss the water. Same thing if you have lots of CLS plumbing...toss the water. The tank would be fine for a couple of days without light or major circulation if it had to.

I know that didnt answer your question...I was just offering it in case you didnt realize it. I dont know how big of a generator it would take. It would depend on your system.

IMO... A Honda generator. Very quiet and dependable. You get what you pay for.

Is that honda brand only? I often see generators that are "powered by honda" but under other brands.

Peace

Personally, I'd get this:

1141748723.jpg

http://www.gopower.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1909
It's diesel, and you'll have enough power to run your house when the power is out.

# 60 Hertz
# Automatic Starting System (to work with Automatic Transfer Switch)
# Battery Charging Alternator
# Electric Start
# Factory Loadbank Tested
# Mainline Circuit Breaker
# Skid Mounted
# Sound Attenuated Weatherproof Enclosure
# Spring Mounted Vibration Isolators
# Dimensions (L x W x H - height does not include muffler): 97.36" X 40" X 60"
# 33 KW
# Weight (Pounds): 2128
# Control Panel: Deep Sea Model 703
# 8 Hour Base Mounted Fuel Tank
# Mecc Alte Generator End
# GeneratorType: Diesel
# Governor: Mechanical Governor
# 12 Lead
# 3 Phase
# Reconnectable

Just kidding by the way...

Is that honda brand only? I often see generators that are "powered by honda" but under other brands.

Peace

Good question. Never even crossed my mind that a Generator would have a Honda engine and a different brand of generator. My pressure washer is of that exact species come to think of it. I would only by from a "Honda authorized dealer" or Honda dealer itself. I have heard too may noisy inexspensive units and too many stories of "I only used it occasionally and on the third year when I needed it, It wouldn't work at all." The honda in my Garage is from a job site (meaning its taken alot of abuse) and starts up easily "guaranteed" after near ten years.

Well if you run 15 amps thats 15x110(volts) = 1650 watts

Or your 3000 watts /110volts = 27.27 amps

What all are you running ?

Anyway its really simple math if you happen to know the equasion!

The real question is? What all are you running. And how many amps or watts are you running I believe 3000 would do more than just 1 tank but probably not the hole house and the tank !!

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you :)

Paul

Personally, I'd get this:

1141748723.jpg

http://www.gopower.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1909
It's diesel, and you'll have enough power to run your house when the power is out.

# 60 Hertz
# Automatic Starting System (to work with Automatic Transfer Switch)
# Battery Charging Alternator
# Electric Start
# Factory Loadbank Tested
# Mainline Circuit Breaker
# Skid Mounted
# Sound Attenuated Weatherproof Enclosure
# Spring Mounted Vibration Isolators
# Dimensions (L x W x H - height does not include muffler): 97.36" X 40" X 60"
# 33 KW
# Weight (Pounds): 2128
# Control Panel: Deep Sea Model 703
# 8 Hour Base Mounted Fuel Tank
# Mecc Alte Generator End
# GeneratorType: Diesel
# Governor: Mechanical Governor
# 12 Lead
# 3 Phase
# Reconnectable

Just kidding by the way...

:lol::lol::lol: I was like, that thing's bigger than my house.

I have a 3500 watt (from Lowes) wired into a manual transfer switch. It runs all of my main outlets, (including reef outlets)my refrigerator, furnance and window AC in the bedroom. I also have one PH plugged into a computer battery back up which will run the ph for 4-5 hours in case I lose power when I am not home. A 3000 watt generator should run everything on most reef tanks. Don't forget you will need a heavy duty extension cord if you are not putting in a transfer switch. They sell them for RV's to plug into outlets at camp grounds.

Other than gas? Liquid propane$$$$$... it would run your whole house. If you are only worried about your tanks, you would get by fine with a gas powered generator and a $75 heavy duty extension cord. Some food for thought though, while you are calculating how many amps your tank will draw... don't forget to check the fuel capacity of the generator, and how fast it consumes said amount of fuel. You wouldnt want it to run out while your away! Best of luck!

There is more to buying a generator than just watts. The labeled wattage is ususally short term surge wattage. Meaning its the absolute max that it will put out for only a very short time. I have 6700 and there is no way it can handle 6700. Generator also starts using fuel at a much faster rate if they are being pushed. If I run only my tank I can get 10 hours on a tank of gas. If I run the whole house I get about 6 with no heat or stove.
Honda is now selling engines to alot of different manufacturers that dose not make the generator a honda. The quality is not the same.
My house is about the size of most peoples living rooms and there is no way I can go with less than what I have and have peace of mind that the generator is going to function when I need it.

Don

What brands then would you recomend Don? Honda brand only? Anything out there thats a little cheaper? hehe 1100 for 2kw is a lot for something Ill use maybe once a year =\

What brands then would you recomend Don? Honda brand only? Anything out there thats a little cheaper? hehe 1100 for 2kw is a lot for something Ill use maybe once a year =\

I have a Generac. I think HD still sells them not near as expensive. Its loud but always seems to work. My comment on Honda selling engines is based on the fact that there is more to a generator than the engine. Ive got a Toro mower with a Honda motor, honestly it was a poor decision on my part.

Generators also need to be used. Just putting them in the shed waiting for a power outage will bite you in the butt. I start mine each month I let it run for at least a hour with a moderate load. I also use the fuel stabilizer so the fuel does not go to pot on me. I have 6 dedicated 5g cans for fuel. I dump the unused gas in my truck at the end of winter and the cans remain empty until the power goes out. The 6 gallons of stabilized fuel that are in the generator is enough to last until I go to the gas station during a power outage usually 6 hours.

I could care less about the generator being loud, its outside anyways. One sure way to keep the next door neighbor from complaining about the noise is to offer him or her a extension cord. My neighbors know they can come over to my place to eat or get warm so there isnt a issue.

I'll also add that a transfer switch even if its manual will make a poweroutage nearly painless and are very simple to install.

Don

I have some experience with generators, here are my recommendations.
-if it looks too good to be true, it is. will iether suck gas, put out less power, overheat, or in most cases all of the above.
-Honda is a good brand, fuel efficient, quiet, and reliable. They are the most expensive though. I think a 3000 silent Honda is $2200+.
-stay away from costco and sam's club specials.
-Generac is good and cheap but their new "home" edition has a cheap motor and sucks fuel. still reliable from what I hear.
-I use a Subaru/Robyn, very dependable, no too loud, great on fuel, and a 4800 costs about $1500.

If you're on a budget like most of us, you're better off buying a quality generator that will run enough to get you by instead of getting a cheaper generator that, supposedly, will run everything.

Yamaha & Honda:D top two around here, other than the entire home generator as posted above, which is nice & can run on natural gas! As mentioned Honda makes motors & the actual generators, which are tops along with Yamaha. I like the affordable Genarc also, with the loud as crap Briggs, which I have because it is about $500 cheaper & I live in Louisiana, which between us & Florida, we get hurricanes usually at least once a year. Funny thing about power outages, I haven't seen much word on fuel because many gas stations will also be out of power & people will be fighting for the ones with generators selling fuel, so you better get enough to last a few days, promise you, the fridge & a small window A/C unit will be in high demand, try going a week without power & see how your tank survives! I did it:D I know LOL!
All I can say is get what you can, take care of it so it works when needed & plan for loss of power a few days at least, think not only fish tank but food & maybe some A/C, also you will need to cook that food. Slight water movement, air pumps every few hours will go a long ways, also tanks that aren't overly stocked will survive longer than a loaded tank!

Are there generators that run on batteries?

great info.

we suffer small outtages year round..
I agree the output on the generator is max rated (start up) in essence you get a surge when items start up..but that drops after the item gets running.
ie a pc may require 3.5 amps at start up but after it gets going it may requie only 1-2 amps(maintenance)
I work with a bunch of electricians ..

Are there generators that run on batteries?

Nope. There are inverters that convert battery voltace to AC voltage. These are great short term solutions that dont last long. They are good to run air pumps. On the other hand you can get air pumps that are made just for power outages.

Don

Idgy,

If your looking for a solution thats not a generator. I'll be adding a 12vdc backup pump system to my current tank build project and will be showing the details when I get there soon.

Don

Back