8/7 the night the lights went out

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just curious as to why you say to avoid the "costco" specials. Im still on the fence as to what way to go for a generator.

Honda brand costs about $2000 for a 3kw generator, and it will last 10+ years.
Off brand about $600 for a 5kw(which will probably do more like 3k) which will only last 3 or 4 years.

If I am using this exclusively as power outtage insurance for my tank, then the second option still looks better. Less start up price for roughly the same price per year of insurance.

Peace

Just curious as to why you say to avoid the "costco" specials. Im still on the fence as to what way to go for a generator.

Honda brand costs about $2000 for a 3kw generator, and it will last 10+ years.
Off brand about $600 for a 5kw(which will probably do more like 3k) which will only last 3 or 4 years.

If I am using this exclusively as power outtage insurance for my tank, then the second option still looks better. Less start up price for roughly the same price per year of insurance.

Peace

I guess you have to concider what the value of the loss will be. Your going to find out that it died when you try to use it and there is no power. There are plenty of good options that are not Honda. Generac is a very reliable brand that uses the same quality electrical portion as the honda. The difference is the motor and I wouldnt concider the tried and true Briggs a piece of junk, its just loud and stinky. My 6700 is 6700 surge and 6000 continuous use. I think they can be had at HD for about $600.

Don

Generacs are a great no frills generator. During the last wind storm created power outage, out in the boondocks here, we were without power for over a week. My old 5KW generac started with the first pull and ran non-stop full time keeping the 180 with all the extras, the fridge and freezer, and coffee maker going no trouble. Took a lot of fuel, and the noise was annoying, but it did it's job and no losses. Summer Craigs list special, $300 cash.

My Generac has a surge power of 8550 & running power of 5500 continuous watts, 11HP Briggs & is loud as crap. It doesn't idle down when not under a load like the Honda motor so it may save a little fuel but if you replace the oil regular it will last way over ten years unless your running it commercially, I paid $700 for it & as much as I use it I don't need a 2k generator, I only run it on the camper every now & then to run it & I take care of best I can, no guarantees with that or any generator that has the sole purpose of emergency use. Reminds me I need to do an Oil change & add stabil to the gas & run it LOL! :rolleyes:

Back