8 Gallon Nano w/halide - too much lighting???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

str8juizy

saltygurl
Hey all, My bigger tank is beautiful, growing like crazy & now I want to get a nano. SO, I found a great deal on CL for a 8 gallon nano with everything and the lighting is a 70watt metal halide for $100. I am used to having more lighting than I need as my 55 gallon has quite a bit more than I need. BUT, I was wondering if on such a small tank if that would be too much and maybe fry things... it is built into the hood so I cannot place it higher up above the tank. I will be growing mostly SPS but am also moving some of my over grown softies from my bigger tank to it. Let me know what you think... I will start a new thread with pics and updates on it as I go. Thanks!

Main thing would be heat, but I set up a 10 gal with a Current USA 70w metal halide (which a friend bought from me before I filled it up) and it's doing great. He's had for about a year now using the original legs that sits it about 5 inches or so off of the water. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rachel, Krish is exactly right. Heat is going to be an issue wit that small of a water volume. Evaporation will also be a concern. The price of Led's is coming down, and for a tank of that size it prolly won't take to many. It's great to see you got the Nano bug.. LOL. Make sure you post up a thread with what ever you decide to do.

On a side note, our nano should be ready for frags in about 12 days or so :)

Rachel, Krish is exactly right. Heat is going to be an issue wit that small of a water volume. Evaporation will also be a concern. The price of Led's is coming down, and for a tank of that size it prolly won't take to many. It's great to see you got the Nano bug.. LOL. Make sure you post up a thread with what ever you decide to do.

On a side note, our nano should be ready for frags in about 12 days or so :)

I still got frags for you. Cant wait to see your nano. That's what made me get the bug! Let me know when your ready.

Back