80 Gallon Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The pic was taken after the first halide shut down, so yeah, it's a little brighter in this pic :lol:
The reflectors seem fine for me. I get plenty of light across the tank and the left end has a great low to moderate light area I plan on using for lower light corals. I'm looking to put some sun coral around that end. Maybe on the bottom side of the shelf peice of rock.

do you like the odyssea fixture, everyone on like 3reef and other forums say never to buy it, but what does everyone on here think?
P.S. Looking Beautiful

do you like the odyssea fixture, everyone on like 3reef and other forums say never to buy it, but what does everyone on here think?
P.S. Looking Beautiful

Thanks Smiley!
I do like the Odyssea fixture. I think you have to understand what you are getting or you may be disappointed. The ballasts that come with them new are crap. Plan on replacing them if you get one of these. I bought my fixture used and then bought new ballasts. I now have a light that puts out a solid 250watts per bulb on the halides and spent half of what many other similar fixtures are going for. My whole light with new bulbs and new ballasts was just over 500. You could easily spend $1200 on a similar light and not everyone, especially me has that kind of money to spend on lighting. For me it was an economic decision that didn’t compromise my needs.

Hey Chris any updated pics of the livestock in the tank? Also hows the potters doing?

I was planning on trying to get a good shot of him tonight after the main lights go out. He's a little more brave when it's not so bright out and we are standing in front of the tank. He's loving the Formula 2 and tried to eat a Spectrum Thera A pellet last night but it was to big for him. I should probably go get a smaller size.

oh i see, i bought a 175watt MH ; ballast,bulb for $70 from a LPS they were selling it because they're employee's didnt know how to deal with it, caught the floor on fire once, broke too many bulbs, broke a peice of it,,, etc... and they said it was working last time they used it, but no warantee, so we take it home and it just smokes up a little bit, im only 14 and kno nothing about wiring, and my lazy brother wont fix it for me :( im bumbed....

It's an Odyssea fixture? What's it look like? You don't really need to rewire anything if it has external ballasts. I'm sure there are a lot of us here on the site that can help you get the light working.

oh i see, i bought a 175watt MH ; ballast,bulb for $70 from a LPS they were selling it because they're employee's didnt know how to deal with it, caught the floor on fire once, broke too many bulbs, broke a peice of it,,, etc... and they said it was working last time they used it, but no warantee, so we take it home and it just smokes up a little bit, im only 14 and kno nothing about wiring, and my lazy brother wont fix it for me :( im bumbed....

It's an Odyssea fixture? What's it look like? You don't really need to rewire anything if it has external ballasts. I'm sure there are a lot of us here on the site that can help you get the light working.

No its just a ballast, with a thing idk how explain here a pic.

ballastsocket2.jpg

ballast.jpg

ballastsocket-1.jpg

here

Hey Smiley, you should post this in the equipment forum and see if someone recognizes the fixture. You could then probably find a used ballast in the 'for sale' section. Doesent' look to hard to fix. It kind of looks like the wire is frayed where it goes into the reflector housing. You should be able to rewire it yourself if needed. You can take pictures of what wire goes where, then replace with new wiring and use the pictures to guide you so you dont't get any wires crossed.

CFI?

Chicas01,

Does CFI have a full name? or webiste? Just trying to do some research as I will be looking to get a bigger tank soon and want it to be a custom job to accomodate my hopes and dreams :)

zkirby

Hey Smiley, you should post this in the equipment forum and see if someone recognizes the fixture. You could then probably find a used ballast in the 'for sale' section. Doesent' look to hard to fix. It kind of looks like the wire is frayed where it goes into the reflector housing. You should be able to rewire it yourself if needed. You can take pictures of what wire goes where, then replace with new wiring and use the pictures to guide you so you dont't get any wires crossed.

Chicas01,

Does CFI have a full name? or webiste? Just trying to do some research as I will be looking to get a bigger tank soon and want it to be a custom job to accomodate my hopes and dreams :)

zkirby

yep, it's Clear fabrications Inc I believe. Here is a link to his website:
http://www.worldclassaquariums.com/

And here is a link to his page in the Sponsors Forum:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116

If you're doing a custom acrylic, Jason is the guy to talk to. He's done a number of tanks for people on RF.

You should updated your build thread man! Wanna see the finished product again cuz you have a nice system!

yeah, I know way overdue. I am in the midst of a hair algae battle at the moment that I haven't specifically found the cause of the outbreak. My RO/DI comes out 0tds so that seems good. I suspect that some sort of residue or something was in my new water mixing can. The outbreak also started around the same time my clown fish decided they were happy enough to start breeding. They have laid 3 batches of eggs the last 6-8 weeks.
I did a major scrub down of the rock work and I'm doing some water changes every 3-5 days to try and get things under control. My corals did not like whatever was released into the water from my scrubbing out the algae so at the moment they are not happy either. So, water changes and getting my alk, ca, mg and ph stable are my main focus right now.

Back