90 gallon road trip!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquaman3680

MidWest Frags
Hi, my name is Matt I moved from California to Kansas about a month ago. Ill share a little bit about myself and my experience in the hobby. In California I worked at a saltwater only store for about a year and a half. My first tank setup was a little 30 gallon tank about 3 years ago. That tank cracked and I took the oppurtunity to upgrade to a 60 gallon tank. I then after about a year with the 60 upgraded to my current 90 gallon tank. I had had it up and running for about 1 1/2 years before we moved.

Since it has been in Kansas it has been up for a month and is doing awesome. The only livestock that has been added to the tank is 3 unidentified Anthias and a green digitata.

I will give you some of my tank specs:

90 gallon AGA RR tank
2x400 watt 12K SE Metal Halides (upgrade from Aqualight Pro)
ASMG2 skimmer
Oceanic Sump 2
2x820 Seio powerheads
8 watt Gamma UV Sterilizer
Quiet one 5000 return pump
around 120 lbs. LR
around 100 lbs. LS

I packed up my tank in rubber maid tubs and bags and set out for Kansas. The move went pretty smoothly I had about 5 or 6 losses out of corals and fish which isn't too bad. The things that have been in the tank are doing great and already growing. I have some pics that im going to post of past and new setups.

Let me know if you have any questions about my setup.

DSC00736.jpg

First 30 gallon setup
c1d5650e.jpg

Then my 60
DSC_0001.jpg

Then the 90 in Cali. A lot of the corals I didn't take with just for the risk of loosing them.
DSC_0547.jpg

And the new one.

Heres the unidentified anthias... Any ideas?
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0591z.JPG

DSC_0567.jpg

Ill post more pics later

Matt

Hi :) i was wondering if that is a deep sand bed you have going? Do you like it?
It looks like pretty fine sand. Mind if I ask what kind it is?

Debbie

Thanks Krish!

I added some lighting, I added 2 48" 28 watt T5's for supplemental lighting. I have some pictures of that.

I also need an ID on this coral, I have no idea what it is looks like some kind of anenome, but has a lot of stinging power. Any ideas would be great

ID Please
DSC_0108.jpg

Then pics of the T5's
DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Full tank with T5's on

Matt

Very nice!! Your tank has a really clean lok!:) As for the ID, you may have to start a new thread to get some feedback on it. It does appear to be an anemone, but the type, I couldn't say. Good luck and thanks again for the pics!:)

BTW, which pendants are you using?:)

It looks to me like a Barlett's Anthias. And for the anemone, it look like a flower anemone, which are common hitchhikers.

It is good to have you here.

That would be a really tough move. Sounds like you did a great job with getting things there safe.

Candy

Nice Tanks and welcome. Can you tell us more about your trip? How did you keep everything warm? Air? Ect... Sound like something I wouldn’t want to do. Did you loose your Purple Tang? Tom

I know for a fact that they arent bartlett's anthias. On another site i got the same ID as the ventralis they look very similar but don't have the long fins like that.

Thanks for the welcomes, and yeah it wasn't as easy as I though it would be.

Now more about the move.

My parents have a 210 setup and decided that they wanted to move some stuff from there. They had a few very nice SPS, a green Monti Cap. with a purple rim, huge Bennett's and Cali tort. All the corals went into bags except the ones that couldn't fit or would pop the bags easily. The Monti and Torts went into the tubs with fish. We used battery operated air pumps for keeping the water oxygenated and the water stayed the temp of the car. We ran the pumps about 15 min out of every hour.

All my fish were in one tub and all my parents fish and nice sps were in another. Well about two hours into the trip we had to stop and get something to eat and we braked too hard and the tubs with water came forward and split all over us. But there was still enough water left. This was on the first day of driving. About another hour passed and we started to smell nasty stuff, but didnt think much of it. We stopped again 3 more hours later and I looked in my parents tub that was smelling and I saw the water was yello and very murkey. We were headed to Alberquirkie, when we got there we got everything out of the car and into the hotel and everything in my parents tub was dead. They had a big sailfin, kole tang, my purple tang, flamehawk, a copperband butterfly, and a 3 year old royal gramma plus all their nice SPS. This tub smelled to high heavens. We got over that and did a water change on my tub. Left the next morning and got there at 10:00 PM and set up 2x 20 gallon tanks for holding stuff until I could get my 90 setup. About 3/4 of the stuff I took made it there. Almost all the stuff in bags made it.

The 20's had been setup for about 1 week now and my 90 up for 3 days, things in there were looking good as far as perams. go. The rock was moved on the moving truck out in the cold for 10 days with just wet newspaper, lol. The rock didn't really smell much and went in and the tank got stable perams within 4 days. The 20's started going downhill and we moved everything to the 90. Since being in the 90 only 1 colony of zoos have died. My parents have their 210 setup now and some of the corals in my tank will be moved over there, once it is stable.

All in all I would say that if i could do it over I would really get down to the bare minimum of stuff that I would take. And we shouldnt have mixed corals with fish in the tubs. But now i guess I can say that my tank moved 3000 miles and stuff made it.

Oh and the purple tang I gave away because he was really aggressive.

Heres a picture of the 20 setups:
DSC_0410.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Matt

Now that sounds like a serious move!
I was wondering what kind of pump do you have on that backpak on the left?

Debbie

Wow sounds like quite the move! When I moved here from california we had 2 65 pound dogs, an african grey, an Iguana, a chinchilla, and 1 freshawater loach all in our 4runner... That was crazy but atleast none of the creatures were sensitive. I can barely imagine how Im going to move a few miles with my tank, let alone cross country. Good job =)

I was wondering what kind of pump do you have on that backpak on the left?

Both of the bakpaks have Maxi Jet 1200's

Thanks, spongebob. I worked at a fish store in Cali so I had first picks which was awesome.

jezzeaepi if you need any tips I would be glad to help.

Awsome story. Did you find out wht the water turned yellow?

My parents green with purple rim monti was on the same rock as a huge staghorn that wasn't that cool, and we were considering getting rid of it, but left it on there. Big mistake. Within the first 2 hours of the first day it started dying. When it died it brought the water quality way down, and basically nuked the whole tub killing everything in it. Which made it smell terrible.

Learned my lesson never put corals and fish together in the same tub.

Matt

Back