90 gallon tank with 2 tangs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vwrock

Hey everyone. I currently have a 90 gallon tank with about 90 lbs of rock lots of space for swimming with a few caves and channels to swim through. The fish I currently have are 2 clowns, 3 chromis, 1 strawberry pseudochromis (which ill be getting rid of,because well she picks on everyone and I started with 7 chromis she decided I only needed three), 1 lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, and a yellow eye kole tang. I am thinking my last two fish will be a cherub angel, and the possibility of a yellow tang. I know the cherub will be fine but I was wondering everyones thought of the kole and yellow tang in the same tank. Will they get along? Is the tank not large enough for two tangs? They are smaller tangs but I want to hear everyones thoughts and opinions before getting the yellow tang probably a month from now.

Thanks everyone

couple of comments...

what is the length of the 90g?
what is the length of the kole tang?
might want to rethink added the cherub angel as they can be bullies/mean, just as the psedochromis you are removing. :)

define "small" tangs..

Since I am guessing the length of the 90g is 4 ft, I would think you would be OK if they are under 3 inches each, but keep in mind, they will need to be relocated when they get bigger, otherwise I would go with just one nice sized tang.

Tank is 48" long... kole is about 3 inches now and small meaning under 8" when full grown.... I know even when the kole is fully grown it will be fine in my tank.... the question is about the yellow outgrowing the tank as is gets about 2" larger than the kole

The yellow tang should be fine. I have had one in my 75 for 4 years now. Mine is pretty mellow. He was living in a 40B before I got him. I also have a tomini tang in the same tank.

So you don't think they would fight to the death? I know they would tussle a bit at first but do u think they would chill out eventually?

If the yellow tang is small you could get a breeder box and let him hang out in there for a couple of days to let the other tang get use to him being in the tank when you first introduce him, just a thought. I know breeder boxes are small and a cramped situation so its not ideal but it does at times help when introducing new fish.

as long as the yellow is the same size or a little larger than the kole tang that you have now, you shouldnt have any trouble. The kole may chase the yellow tang around a little, but if you have a lot of caves and hiding places, they will be fine.
I have a carribean blue in my 240. hes pretty big. I took a chance and added a scopas tang half the size of the blue. It was a good 3 or 4 days before the blue would let the scopas come out from the cave it ran to when it saw the blue coming, but he held his own. they both had blemishes from getting smacked by each other but there is no more aggression in the tank after the first 4 days. I dont think the kole tang is as agressive.

That's alot of good info and Ideas guys... thanks alot ... this is what I was looking for ... I wasn't sure if the yellow should be bigger or smaller so that helps and never wouldve thought of the breeder box idea..... but 90 isn't too small of a tank for an adult kole and yellow tang? Whatever fish I get I want to be able to have as an adult .... that way they can have a healthy environment for the fish..... thanks everyone.... I know that the recommended size for a kole is no less than a 70 gallon and the recommended size for a yellow is 100 gallon..... so that is why I'm asking

I have 2 yellows a sailfin and a copperband butterfly plus some smaller fish in my 90 with no issues.

That's a whole tangs for a 90.... bet its beautiful ..... the kole I have is about 3 inches. And I have not bought the yellow yet.

Had a kole and yellow in my 120 before and they were fine. Make sure yellow is bigger as koles are dominant not so much mean,but don't worry yellow's are hardier than the kole. I had a yellow and blue tang that grew up together over 8 years and were inseparable and even slept in same cave together. Tangs were and are my favorite personalities on a reef, really goofy.

Good luck!

Thanks.... glad to hear they should get along..... ill be sure to get him a little bigger. It will be a month or so till i will get him but wanted to research it before doing anything :)

Lots and lots of good points and info. Just taggin along while I plan on my 125 or 180 upgrade and having maybe 2-3 tangs in the 125 or 4-5 tangs in the 180. I agree that as long as the new yellow tang is the same size or slightly bigger that it should be fine in the 90. The small breeder box is another route if needed. It's all about releasing tension in the tank right lol....:bump"

What does everyone think of a yellow mimic tang? Saw a beautiful yellow one in Sumner last night and the guy said they are a little more peaceful than a normal yellow tang. Since I can't get an angel cuz I don't wanna risk my corals and this guy kinda looks like a lemonpeel angel...... he also said that they are kinda tough to find in stores and they only get em in like once or twice a year. Thanks everyone

Back