A challenge that is going to take some figuring

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Stlouisguy

I have a 175 reef already and my wifes "nice" freshwater fish are getting too big for her tank (I'll come back to this tank) so I just set up a 125 for her angels and misc other freshies. Going to move them this weekend which will free up the old tank.

Now here is the challenge

The Tank is freestanding in our Dining room. I want to convert it over to salt and have softies in it. Heres the problems I face...

Shape- Very strange shape. Looks like a slice of pie with the back that fits into the corner and the front coming out with three panes of glass in front. Custom stand to fit. Tank is a 58 gallon.

Not reef ready and not sure I want it drilled. Would go with a tunze.

Very limited space below as the shape isnt condusive to a normal fuge shape or filter.

For lighting I would build a canopy and go with a 250w 10k MH and some VHO's.

I think this tank could be beautiful as I love the look of a "round" reef but cant figure out the logistics of it

I would guess The problem is where to put filtration. Where was it for the fresh water fish is hang on ok with you looks wise otherwise drill the tank and get a cabinet that will work equipment wise and place some small plants next to or around the tank atop the larger cabinet ?

yeah, its the filtration thats the problem, and the return pump. I have a canister below the tank now. There is no room outside the stand for any equipment either. Guess I may just need to move the tank to the basement and send plumbing through wall if I cant figure out how to have a sump below the tank.

You can maybe have an overflow built and sealed inside of the tank. With this, you wouldn't have to worry about anything hanging on the back of the tank pushing it too far off of the wall except for plumbing. I did this once and I wished I still had pics of it. What I did was made a closed loop system like the one Marc made an Melev's reef (which he used with a squid) and simply sucked water out of the overflow and pushed it back in for flow. This setup for me was more for flow rather than filtration, but I'm sure it can be altered for filtration. Here is a picture similar to what I did. I can't remember who's gallery I saved it from because it was a long time ago (I'm pretty sure though it someones here on the forum who could help). This is where I got the idea from...Hope it gives you some ideas.

Back