A Clearly Fabricated 270g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ret25yo

alright since all th good threads are in here I will post the before pics and pics as I recieve them from Jason.
Background: 2 years ago I was severely wounded in a roadside bomb attack in Fallujah Iraq. This attack left me in the hospital for 6 months and now after complete nerve reconstruction surgery on my right side (2x10hr surgeries) I no longer can use my right arm. But while in the hospital I read a magazine about saltwater fish and talked to my father about them (he was a petco manager, before he passed away 8mths ago.) So essentially this tank is my tribute to him as it was always his dream also.

The main tank is 270g (72x36x24+)
The sump is tentatively125g (48x30x20)
The skimmer is a Bubblemaster 250
The lighting I am thinking 2x 36" sfiligoi http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/mm5...O&Product_Code=SF-SLTH8x39&Category_Code=SFT5

and pics to come...room before
remodelsummer07034.jpg

remodelsummer07008.jpg

remodelsummer07003.jpg

room after remodel....stll trying having picture difficulty...

Last edited:
Thanks for your service in the millitary! My Condolance for your loss.

This is going to be a fun project for ya! looks great, i will be following the tread close. Keep the pictures commin!. PS.... Think of ventalation in advance!

Excellent Kyle! You've got a great start. Nice looking stand too!

those lights you were thinking about look neat - never seen them before in action, but they look nice. I'm a new fan of T5's after trying them outmyself. I assume you'll have an open top w/ no canopy? if so, do you have an idea about how you can raise or move the lights out of the way so you can access the inside of the tank?

Excellent Kyle! You've got a great start. Nice looking stand too!

I assume you'll have an open top w/ no canopy? if so, do you have an idea about how you can raise or move the lights out of the way so you can access the inside of the tank?

Thax everyone for the support...

yes I will have an open top and I had not thought about that...lol I did see Joes garage gorilla but I believe that may be too heavy duty....I'll have to see what Home Depo or lowes has to offer.....

Since My surgery I have severe pain when my body heat raises above normal so the V.A. has to install central A.C. before next summer and will get the added ventilation in and out of the room then. for free....lol

Beautiful lights Kyle, a work of art, but you sure pay for them, I guess the weak dollar doesn't help. Have you checked out any T5/HQI combo's? Not to get sidetracked but there is some controversy I'm sure you are aware of regarding T5's and SPS/clam husbandry, plus you will lose that beautiful rippling effect you get from pinpoint MH lighting sources if you go all T5, that's just personal preference of course. Nice to not have the heat issues when you go all T5 though, trade off's, trade off's.....

Last edited:
Jason threw a removable metal center brace in for major tank modifications and maintanance as you can see the hinges in the pics.

since I would like to keep it an open top its hard to find aestetically pleasing light fixtures
I have a great concern over heat and halides and equipment and space. and we'll see after the first summer if i'm going to need a chiller....if thats the case then I can always add a couple MH .

Beautiful lights Kyle, a work of art, but you sure pay for them, I guess the weak dollar doesn't help. .....

Thats the trth.... last month I lost $3,000 on my international investments :cry:but my emerging markets investments are making up for it quick....lol:D

I'm going with a Sunlight Supply Tek 5 48" 6 x 54w over a 120 softie with an open top like yours, SS had a booth at Barrier Reefs grand opening, I liked the aesthetics, not as nice as the sfiligoi though IMHO, also SS doesn't make an 8 bulb 36" fixture to fit your needs, seems like US companies are always behind the power curve compared to Europe..

I'd like to find something that covers the 36" width
and I was thinking (jason also) 2xeheims 1262 for return pumps? any opinions.

Last edited:
Why use 2 pumps for the return when one should do, and one will keep the temp down. I like the use of one big pump that you could adjust up or down dependant on what you need. A dart would do, i use a barracuda cut back, but i can expand off it to a frag tank ect...

yes but my sump is not about the flow of the tank (thats what I have 2 closed loops and tunzes for). If one pump goes down I'll still have my system running just not as strong.. and if I had one pump that went down it could be disaterous(sp). The overflow due to size ect. for proper flow to the sump can safely handle 2500 gph, But I dont want to "push" water through the sump.

allright ordered the following from dr's
6 buckets IO salt - 30.00 ea
4 bags sand(30lbs)- 22.00ea
salifert kits
2 eheims 1262

shipping was OUTRAGEOUS a whole $17.99 lol
the delivery guys going to hate me....

allright ordered the following from dr's
6 buckets IO salt - 30.00 ea
4 bags sand(30lbs)- 22.00ea
salifert kits
2 eheims 1262

shipping was OUTRAGEOUS a whole $17.99 lol
the delivery guys going to hate me....

where did you order these from? $17.99 for shipping for 6 buckets of IO salt thats a great deal for just the buckets of salt!

Back