A couple of questions.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I have a pink bar gobie and he is paired up with a red and white randalls pistol shrimp. When I moved the fish to our new house I couldn't find the little shrimp anywhere, I looked for several weeks in the gobies burrow, but nothing. So I set out to find another pistol shrimp and I came home with a tiger shrimp, hoping they would pair up. Shortly after bringing him home, I happened to be looking again at the gobie in his burrow and out comes this little red and white shrimp, shoveling away. So now I have found the other tiger shrimp a couple of rocks over about 15" away, shoveling out his burrow. My question is, if a bought another shrimp gobie, a different kind, will they kind of stay in their own area if the other gobie would pair up with the tiger shrimp or will they fight.
My other question is one that I have thought about for quite some time. Does anyone know if fish can see colors or are they color blind.

I thought I was losing pistol shrimp so I bought a couple more. Turns out I wasn't losing them. When I did a tank swap this summer, I found 3 living with my yellow watchman goby. Unfortunately one got squished when some rocks were moved around, but I put the other 2 back in on opposite ends of the tank along with the original yellow watchman and a new randall's goby, thinking they'd each pair up. Nope, I have 2 pistols living with the yellow watchman.

Hello,
Most fish can see colors very well except the red part of the spectrum. Multiple gobies and shrimp will often exist together even in close proximity. I've seen different species shrimp gobies share the same burrow and two shrimp in the same burrow also.

Cheers,
Kevin

Back