A few Refugium questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

I just set up my first refugium. I'm using a sand bed with some frags of lr. Currently I have some culerpa floating in it but I just ordered some cheato to replace it.

There is a great deal of red, film-like algae in the compartment. It's trapped there. The sponge filtering the water flow to the return compartment catches it all. But there is quite a bit of it. Should this be? Is there a problem I'm not catching here?

Also, the water hardly seems to circulate in the refugium. It seems to skim across the top of the compartment and out. Should I consider doing something to create some gentle circulation in the 'fuge? Maybe an air stone?

Welcome to Reef Fontiers for starters!

As for your wierd algae that you are seeing i believe that is cyano. It is a "bad" algae but can be killed by using RODI water and frequent water changes. You may also ned to improve your water flow in the sump. a small powerhead could do the trick for you instead of an airstone.

The tank's been up for three years now. I replaced a wet/dry with the refugium last month. The algae is not in the tank, only in the refugium section of the sump.

Wouldn't there be problems with a small powerhead sucking up the cheato and clogging up?

And thanks for the welcome. This looks like a fabulous collection of know-how.

Well its good that it is trapped in your fuge. Hopefully you can keep it like that! I am dealing with the same crap right now but unfortunately mine made it to the main tank. I would imagine that you could mount a powerhead in such a way to use it without worrying about it getting clogged up. I honestly don't thinkthe airstone is going to do all that much for the fuge but thats just my opinion. Are you running a skimmer on this tank? Whats it rated for (how many gallons?) and what size tank do you have?

Welcome to RF! I agree with Nick on the cyno...Wherever there are excess nutrients in your system, it will grow. The sponge is a good idea to trap the cyno so it won't be returned to the main tank and take up residence there as well, but you must remember to stay on top of keeping it clean (rinse out atleast every 2 days) otherwise waste will build up in that sponge and degrade water quality, thus promoting algae growth. In addition, you need to siphon out the algae as it grows as well. The only way the algae helps with removing excess nutrients from your system is by exporting it. If you leave the algae sitting in your sump, then all the bound up nitrates and phosphates will still be in your system which can possibly be released back into your system...So as it grows (I'd say weekly) just siphon it up. As for the flow in the fuge, a small powerhead shoud do the trick like Nick suggested. Stagnant water usually promotes algae to grow:)

Hope you enjoy it here...:)

Are you running a skimmer on this tank? Whats it rated for (how many gallons?) and what size tank do you have?

Yes, I'm running a Euro-Reef skimmer that's rated for 180 gallons and my tank is a 125.

I really appreciate the help guys. You can count on hearing from me again. I'll go out tomorrow and pick up a small powerhead and I'll clean out the sump. We'll see how it goes from there.

There is another member on here who lives in Destin, Fl his screen name is Ronj and if you live near him i would get together with him he seems to know his stuff to if you ever need help with something and need hands on guidance.

Let us know if you have any questions. This place is a really great place and i'm sure you'll like it here.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Check out this thread from another board. There is some good discussion from Anthony Calfo in it, and I'll quote a little tidbit below: Refugium Tips (formerly "flow rate through a refugium")

Anthony Calfo said:
it depends wholly on what it is you are keeping/culturing in refugia.

Much like lighting and how important it is to define what species you will be keeping at what depth and their subsequent needs before (!) we buy lights/lamps

In the case of 'fuge water flow... it has been grossly underestimated to date. I'd say 10X turnover bare minimum in general... but more like 20X is better/best. You will find that Chaetomorpha and Graciliaria, etc grow much faster and with better vigor in such flow.

Any doubts?... look for nuisance algae that typically flourish in low flow environments like Cyanobacteria.

And like reef displays... be sure to distribute that flow well (no single nozzle injection). Produce random turbulent flow for most refugia to keep solids in suspension for increased opportunities for filter feeders to use/export the matter.

kindly,

Anthony

u can use the sponge to catch it (witch is prob a good idea) but it needs to be cleaned often.

you can also just use it when its cloudy like after a stirrin.

but i do get peaces of cheto in the skimmer power head, and it had made its way to my main tank, thur the return pump, (and has seeded) but lucky its a eazy algae to remove.

Red slime is most likely cyno, witch seems to be the first stage of any new tank (more and more storys of this). But as said above, it can be removed with water changes and maintence. (added flow from another power head will help)

Welcome to Rf

Back