A few updated SPS pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

want to share your secrets here?

like what lighting.... what salt you are using? equipment... daily weekly routine...?
supplements/amino/voodoo/hula dance/etc....

kidding aside... your tank is magnificent...

any full tank shot?

Not a bonsai, that one is a bali tri-colour. Agree, likely a.valida, only one that does not go brown! :)

The Bonsai has a different growth pattern. Here are some pics of my buddies piece, his colony is spectacular. Tough to capture the different growth, but is has a long single base with clusters of often fused branches, where the tri-colour is more branching. Anway, here are some pics of the best bonsai I have ever seen.

what is the name of the acro in the 3rd pic of your second post??? is that a purple bonsai???

tri_closecopy.jpg

tri_color.jpg

tri_color2.jpg

where could i get one of the ones like you have??( bali tri colour) that is crazy nice!!!

Last edited:
Not sure where you could pic one up in the US, likely online though I would assume. I have two small/mid-size colonies in Toronto Canada...but I do not ship to the US.

where could i get one of the ones like you have??( bali tri colour) that is crazy nice!!!

220G What do you use for ventalation? I have an inwall 300G Finnally up and going, but im having issues with the humid crap! im in the basement level of the house and i vent out the rim cap of of the house, its not quite cutting it. Any ideas?

I use a 300CFM fax exhausting outdoors as my basement is currently unfinished. However the only way to ventilate your home PROPERLY if you have a large system is to use a heat recovery ventilator (HRV). If you are nore familiar with these you should look into them.

220G What do you use for ventalation? I have an inwall 300G Finnally up and going, but im having issues with the humid crap! im in the basement level of the house and i vent out the rim cap of of the house, its not quite cutting it. Any ideas?

thanks for the input! i will look into that for sure. What fan are you using? ive tryed 2 so far and no luck. Thanks again.

Last FTS is from May, on the link above. Things have been growing nicely though so I am due for another one soon.

how about a fts? those are awesome!!!

Mine is just the 10" diameter barrel style fan from Home Depot. They generally have 300 and 500CFM, around $120 or so I think. Must be vented outside, but look into an HRV this is the proper solution so your house is not under negative pressure all the time.

thanks for the input! i will look into that for sure. What fan are you using? ive tryed 2 so far and no luck. Thanks again.

This one does not grow in a traditional staghorn type. I do have another one that is very fine branching that is pretty unique, but they all grow in a cluster-like shape rather than a branching shape.

your tri color valida is the staghorn type right????

Depending on your climate, this may not be suitable. Essentially the unit ventilates all your moist air out of the fish room for example and uses the heat from the warm moist air to temper the replacement air so that your home is not under negative pressure. You do need to know how to size your HRV, the smallest size is never adequate.

All the high-end custom installations in my area, they come standard with an HRV. Give your heating and air condtioning company a call and see what they recommend for your climate. Essentially, you need to remove all the warm moist air without putting your house under negative pressure.

hmmm, i was looking into the system that you would use and i found some info. Im not totally convinced thats the way a reeffer would go, we have to much moisture for that kind've unit. http://www.toolbase.org/TechInventory/TechDetails.aspx?ContentDetailID=748&BucketID=6&CategoryID=6

Maybe you have found different info? I like the idea of the heat recovery.

Deffinatly noted! i will look into that for sure. I am installing a 300 cfm fart fan in the room today, hope this works. On another note! im setting up the Ca Rec today and is there any dont do's i should be aware of? should i rinse the media? I hope to put some corals in the display soon. Thanks in advance!:)

The fan is what I currently use, however I hate the fact that it also draws all the air I pay to heat and cool out with it...oh well untill I finish my basement I can cope with it.

Ca reactor - well just remember the reactor only maintains your alk and ca, you need to get your levels to where you want them, and then let the reactor maintain them. Keep an eye on your ca and alk levels until you get the reactor dialed in, then sit back and enjoy.

Deffinatly noted! i will look into that for sure. I am installing a 300 cfm fart fan in the room today, hope this works. On another note! im setting up the Ca Rec today and is there any dont do's i should be aware of? should i rinse the media? I hope to put some corals in the display soon. Thanks in advance!:)

Not a bonsai, that one is a bali tri-colour. Agree, likely a.valida, only one that does not go brown! :)

The Bonsai has a different growth pattern. Here are some pics of my buddies piece, his colony is spectacular. Tough to capture the different growth, but is has a long single base with clusters of often fused branches, where the tri-colour is more branching. Anway, here are some pics of the best bonsai I have ever seen.

tri_closecopy.jpg

tri_color.jpg

tri_color2.jpg

I used to have this exact coral! I'm pretty sure. The growth and branching structure and color looks REALLY familiar. I picked up a small one inch frag in 1998 from Dick Perrin in MI. I grew out a colony that was about 8 inches tall and 7 inches wide. Unfortunately, I had to move from multiple states and lost it once I stored it at a LFS here in Texas.:mad::cry::( I could have provided frags to everyone in this thread!

It is also most likely to be a Acropora valida :)
The pictures below are all the same coral but are taken under different lighting over the years. You can see how the coloration and growth form changes with lighting and age.

Regards,
Kevin

Valida.JPG

A_valida.JPG

25valida-9-03.JPG

25purple_frag-9-03.JPG

25valida-5-03.JPG

I recently grabbed these two colonies from a hobbiest leaving the hobby. The first is a thin branching tri-colour which is quite different than my other tri-colours (and known to a diferent one). The second is a massive hoeksemai. Massive means it is pretty hard (for a hoek) and this makes me torts look, well just blue.

thintri.jpg

hoek.jpg

Back