A few updated SPS pics

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Kevin,
Can you help to id the name for that pcs on the left. Is it same tri color (valida) or other species. (i notice it look like one of the pic you posted but the coralite looks different)
IMG_3231.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
Dave,
it seems like no matter which board I go on these days you are there too.;) Are you stalking me or something?LOL:lol::badgrin::lol:
Welcome to RF

Last edited:
what color Halides do you have all of those nice corals under????? i just got a tricolor Valida and a Garf Bonsai....i want them to color up similar to yours

I was going to say the same thing to you! Having sorted out the technical aspects years ago, the advances in digital photography really make the boards interesting again for me. I really only have time to actively participate in a couple however.

Dave,
it seems like no matter which board I go on these days you are there too.;) Are you stalking me or something?LOL:lol::badgrin::lol:
Welcome to RF

I run 3x400W 20XMs fired by maxkor electronic ballasts (in lumanarc reflectors) and 4 x 160W URI actinics fired by Icecap ballasts on my tank.

Don't look for these ballasts by the way, I bought them in 2003 and they are junk, unreliable, and I have replaced all of them once (under warranty as I bought them at reputable store). IME to colour you will get has alot to do with the coral, this species is well know for not maintaining it's colour once you get them home. That being said, that GARF piece will be a gen as it has been around forever.

what color Halides do you have all of those nice corals under????? i just got a tricolor Valida and a Garf Bonsai....i want them to color up similar to yours

well, they were......after adding a bunch of corals I bought from a buddy, I changed my calcium ractor media and turned up my ca ractor. Have burnt tips on many of my acros now...am doing another water change tomorrow.

I essentially left the tank alone for 2 years+. Sometimes I take for granted how sensitive an acro tank can be. Hooefully in a month everything will be back to normal. That will learn me.

Show Off :) Colors are amazing!

Hello,
It's hard to tell from this view but it looks very much like Acropora valida to me.

Regards,
Kevin

Sorry to 220G :oops: - disturbing this thread again.

Hi Kevin,

Recently, i saw the same coral with a tag - Acropora Suibata. Unfortunately, i'm unable find such name in the net. The coral is from Vanatu shipment. It will be great if i can find the ID. Thanks ;)

IMG_3974.jpg

Recently, I saw the same coral with a tag - Acropora Suibata. Unfortunately, I'm unable find such name in the net.
Hello,
That's because there is no coral with that name :) It is most likely a misspelling of A. subulata which looks very similar to A. valida, and A. nana.
There are a couple of differences from A. valida:
1. A. valida grows in a clump/bush form (rarely as a table) and A. subulata grows in a table form.
2. If you look down from the top A. valida corallite openings are round and small A. subulata openings are oval/nariform shaped.

Regards,
Kevin

Hello,
That's because there is no coral with that name :) It is most likely a misspelling of A. subulata which looks very similar to A. valida, and A. nana.
There are a couple of differences from A. valida:
1. A. valida grows in a clump/bush form (rarely as a table) and A. subulata grows in a table form.
2. If you look down from the top A. valida corallite openings are round and small A. subulata openings are oval/nariform shaped.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin
Thanks so much, will just take it as a. subulata.

Will start my search for a frag of A. Valida :D

Very nice corals 220.. Hopefully your reactor issue will be resolved and your corals will return to their amazing coloration. I've had the same sort of thing happen for various reasons but most recently my nitrates got a little out of control. They are really starting to recover quite nicely now, colors are returning slowly but shurely and the growth is excellerating. :) Keep up the good work!!

Chris

Well, as I have been updating elsewhere, thought I would update this thread for reefrontiers readers. Check out the pics, tank is doing better than ever/

purplecap.jpg

purplecap_closeup.jpg

superman1.jpg

superman2.jpg

loripes.jpg

montis.jpg

pink_digi.jpg

hyacinthis1.jpg

hyacinthis.jpg

hyacinthis_close.jpg

orangesherbert.jpg

alieneye.jpg