A light for skimmy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
So a light for Skimmys tank which is a 20g cfi tank that is 24x16x12. So here is a parts list to do what he wants.

> AR housing with two fans = $ 84.00

> 8.460 wide x 18 inch long heat sink = $ 44.27

> here is a layout, we can change or alter it if you want.
skimmyled.jpg

> Cree XP-E cool white 3w x 15 = $ $60.00
> Cree XP-E Royal Blue 3 w x 8 = $ 36.00
> Cree XP-E Blue 3 w x 9 = $ 33.00
> Cree XP-E green 3w x 2 = $ 11.00
> Cree XP-E violet 3w x 2 = $ 11.00
> BJB Optic holder 36 x .35 = $ 12.50
> Carclo Optics x 36 = 43.29
> Meanwell ELN 60-48D x 3 = $ 97.50
> typhon controller kit = $ 55.00
TyphonKit_medium.jpg

> From here you will need the arctic white glue, wire and a few plugs for the drivers so maybe?? $ 30.00?? So 500 in total. Now you could have saved 120 if you just went with 1 driver and no custom controller.

Mojo

No Red? You could change one of the whites for one red. Also, are you recommending using the optics on the green and violet emitters (red if used)? Seems like they might spotlight???

Souldn't the Meanwell driver be a Meanwell ELN 60-48P (PWM) instead of the Meanwell ELN 60-48D? From reading the Typhon LED Controller Kit specifications they do not show the Meanwell 48D driver but do show the 48P (PWM) driver as a compatiable driver for their board. Can you still use the dimmable 48D on the Typhoon board or does the board require the 48P (PWM) driver? :noidea: So confusing, these things. :lol:

FWIW, if you order the PWM drivers from here Typhon LED Controller Kit by BoostLED with the Typhoon driver board kit you could save $10.00 off your listed prices.

Cheers,
Alex

Alex, I have the D driver instead of the P on my system. Its not recommended by the manufacturer but alot of reefers are doing it. The code in the arduino is written differently for the two types of drivers. The reason I bought the D drivers in stead of the P drivers is that the P's cant be used with Neptune or DA controllers. I wanted the option to upgrade in the future.

Before I read the description I was thinking "Yellow!? Why would you use yellow?" before I realized that it wouldn't show on a white background.... duh! Looks like a nice setup!

We are using the D drivers with the Typhon controller a well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Alex, I have the D driver instead of the P on my system. Its not recommended by the manufacturer but alot of reefers are doing it. The code in the arduino is written differently for the two types of drivers. The reason I bought the D drivers in stead of the P drivers is that the P's cant be used with Neptune or DA controllers. I wanted the option to upgrade in the future.

That's right. That is the reason I planned on using the D drivers is so that I can use them with my controller. :lol: Guess I am getting forgetful as I get older. THx Duane for the clarification. :D

Cheers,
Alex

No Red? You could change one of the whites for one red. Also, are you recommending using the optics on the green and violet emitters (red if used)? Seems like they might spotlight???

Eww I like the carclo optics they have a rippled surface on the lens, which seems to work well with the rectangle tanks and eases any kind of spotlighting. On the colors you would end up with one red and I dont think that would really make a difference on such a short light.

Souldn't the Meanwell driver be a Meanwell ELN 60-48P (PWM) instead of the Meanwell ELN 60-48D? From reading the Typhon LED Controller Kit specifications they do not show the Meanwell 48D driver but do show the 48P (PWM) driver as a compatiable driver for their board. Can you still use the dimmable 48D on the Typhoon board or does the board require the 48P (PWM) driver?
noidea.gif
So confusing, these things.
lol.gif

As mentioned above Alex, we did it on Erics with no issue and on mine I have 9 of them and use it also with out any problems. So I am going to assume its all good.

Mike

Skimmy I know you were also looking at the Ecotech Radion light so here are the differences.

DIY you get 36 lights vs 34, Diy you get top line optics vs none (big difference on your par output and depth) , DIY covers 18 inch vs 12, DIY you get 2 topline fans vs 1, DIY have 3 drivers vs 1, DIY you can control one full bank of whites and then blues with the third being a mix vs adjusting the whole spectrum either up or down, DIY has the typhon controller vs software based/controller based with wireless and others, DIY equals $500.00 as speced, or $380.00 with one driver and no fancy controller vs $ 750.00

Mojo

damn man... that is sick.... thank you so much for the legwork mike!!!!
I will hav to wait 2 weeks, but will then order all the parts.

im on the fence about the controller... it seems so cheap like id be stupid not to get it though...
and i could possibly combine that down to 2 channels/drivers instead of 3.
and i might like to change out 4 of those 15 cool white to magenta if i can hav them on the same driver without frying them.
very excited!

well the ecotechs also allow you to control each color individually, speak to other units if you decide to use it later on a larger system, silent operation, software and controller designed speciffically for the unit that can/will be updated/improved over time. plus you wont have to solder it all together and hope it works ;)

Mark, you can change out some of the whites with the magentas. You would just have to tune the driver to 750ma instead of 1050ma that the whites can handle. Since you would be under driving the whites, they will run cooler and last longer. Bonus.
With the DIY controller you can use as many channels as you please. Its pretty easy to reprogram it. Also with the DIY controller, if enough work is pput into it you can get real time weather simulations for the Barrier Reef. Without much work at all, you can set it up to give you cloud simulations and lightening storm sims.
A DIY unit can be linked to other units and I fully expect to have three 60 LED DIY units on four channels over my 210 when I get it set back up in the distant future. For that matter. I can build a DIY controller for under $75 and have twelve or sixteen controllable channels if I want.
If I'm correct, the arduino controllers can be set up with wifi. They definitely can be built to do all of the same things that a Neptune and DA will do.

Let me start by saying Skimmy will be getting an amazing light out of this.

Then I would like to say not everyone is a DIY'er and that is ok. That's who these factory built fixtures are for. My point is to the people who have the want, the ability to learn and the few skills it takes to build a DIY fixture that far exceeds a factory built unit IN MY OPINION. The way I feel they exceed them is you have way more flexibility in design, LED colors, heatsink sizes and appearance. Let's talk briefly about the Radion unit that everyone seems to throw around the most right now... In our case with a standard 180 DT we would have had to purchase 4 of these units. Thats $3000 plus tax (if you choose to support a local shop) so that's really more like $3300. Don't get me wrong... they are beautiful fixtures and you don't get much better in customer service than with Ecotech Marine. We have experienced that with our MP40's. Our DIY 144 3W Cree XP-E with full Carlco optics set up cost approximately half of that. We have total control of the appearance and intensity of the LED's with the DIY controller that has been mentioned above. We have so much light that we have actually had to stop our acclimation adjustments at 25% intensity and we are growing SPS on the bottom of the tank. As to the building of the units... I look upon all the initial soldering and assembly as getting to know your light as well as any other piece of equipment on your tank. If/when something goes out or doesn't work right, we know exactly where everything is, how it's wired and how to fix it with very minimal cost. We don't have to send it somewhere to be repaired while the tank sits dark waiting for it to return. The warranty is just that... a warranty... that no one hopes to use. In reality we are trying to build these lights to last many years to come and a 1-2 year warranty just isn't worth nearly double the money IN MY OPINION. The software is cool looking but really how often are you going to turn your tank all green or all red? You could wire your DIY fixture to do the same with very little effort if you really want that feature. In closing I want to say the companies and dealers that are selling these lights are doing an amazing job helping those that just don't have to ability or want to do any of this DIY stuff and I sincerely appreciate them for it. I would just really like the factory fixture purchasing people to think a little more before knocking a quality DIY LED set up.

well the ecotechs also allow you to control each color individually, speak to other units if you decide to use it later on a larger system, silent operation, software and controller designed speciffically for the unit that can/will be updated/improved over time. plus you wont have to solder it all together and hope it works

I am not trying to put down the radions my friend, I just knew that Skimmy was looking at them. Buying a pre-made units is just plug and play and that is always going to be good for alot of folks. For me I am seeing a lot of folks that want to get LEDs over their tank but simply can not afford the high price tag they seem to all have. So DIY is just a way for them to do it and thus we are trying to take the scary out of it.

take care

Mike

hey im not knocking it im just trowing it out there if he builds it there are chanches of it burning up and there goes all his money and time but he would have a warranty with the radions....gotta think of that too.

If you have ever built one you would know that is virtually impossible. But you can look to that if you wish

Mike

I am not trying to put down the radions my friend, I just knew that Skimmy was looking at them. Buying a pre-made units is just plug and play and that is always going to be good for alot of folks. For me I am seeing a lot of folks that want to get LEDs over their tank but simply can not afford the high price tag they seem to all have. So DIY is just a way for them to do it and thus we are trying to take the scary out of it.

take care

Mike

just trying to help skimmy make his decision :) both units/builds have their positives and negatives but yup price is always a huge +/-

Back