A new highly efficient, super bright mini-light bulb.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That is very very cool. Maybe in a few years or a decade from now we can use those tiny lights in our aquarium. sure would save a lot of space .

Imagine the benefits of the low heat exchange!. No more chillers perhaps? I can see the "tim the Aquariusman Taylor" putting like 20 of these over his tank!. Bet there gonna be like 600 bucks each though.

Except that most people don't like that colour (effective colour temperature of sunlight). Most people like 10k or higher rather than 5,500 to 6,500.

I have a good friend that owns a lighting store that may be able to get this for me. Pricing is comparable to a new MH bulb. This will revolutionize our industry and also make a huge difference in lighting as a whole. Check this out though, bulb life is 30,000 hours! I am amazed.

EDIT: We know for sure that it is available to the public.

i have a good friend that owns a lighting store that may be able to get this for me. Pricing is comparable to a new mh bulb. This will revolutionize our industry and also make a huge difference in lighting as a whole. Check this out though, bulb life is 30,000 hours! I am amazed.

Edit: We know for sure that it is available to the public.

kool, maybe i can contact them bout using them for aquariums.

I have a good friend that owns a lighting store that may be able to get this for me. Pricing is comparable to a new MH bulb. This will revolutionize our industry and also make a huge difference in lighting as a whole. Check this out though, bulb life is 30,000 hours! I am amazed.

EDIT: We know for sure that it is available to the public.

Details... me wants the precious!

The company is sending me a demo unit. I am hoping that it arrives next week.

Holy $%#% that thing is the %^&$
wonder what kind of power sourse it needs and the wiring on it if it can be protected from moisture ?

Price

So, I was quoted $1000 for a demo unit from the company listed in the OP. They have two units; one with a very low CRI and one with a great CRI. I didn't bother asking about the low CRI unit, but buyer beware when fixtures become available to the public. The low CRI ones will be bright and efficient but will look awful. The demo unit is just the basic hardware, not a reflector or anything else. It sounds like they are hoping to sell or license the tech to fixture manufacturers, so it will be interesting to see what shows up in the marketplace. The initial price looks high, but twice as efficient as LED and no bulb changes looks great for prop tanks. It's relatively easy to add more blue to the spectrum with actinics or LED's.

Back