A question about live rock placement.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

Would It be a bad Idea to place it against the back of the aquarium or stick with it in the middle? I was just wondering because I'd like to stack the rock higher and it's becoming a problem with no support.

Thanks

I have seen some threads that some will use pond foam or epoxy to aquascape, Im sure someone will reply soon, but may be able to search for those threads meanwhile.
Im a newbie as well, so Im gonna tag along to see if any other input folks have

We stacked ours up really high with only a few points touching the back wall. We did it this way because of the dimensions of our DT being only 15" from front to back and a full 30" tall. We used a product from JB Weld called Water Weld between all the rocks and under them at the bottom of the tank as well. That way there would not be a very ugly accidental avalanche into the front glass. Once it sets up it really holds and will set under water without a problem. It gives you about 15 min of work time once you knead the epoxy together. One other tip is to have your hands wet before kneading it. That way it doesn't stick to you and you have white fingers for days until it wears off. Water Weld is available at Home Depot and its only about $5 a package. We used like 10 packages though. It doesn't go a long way. Thats what we did and we have overhanging "shelf" like rocks that are barely supported other than by this stuff.

I got some 1/2" acrylic rod at the acrylic store (about $5 for a 8ft rod if I remember right), drilled holes in my rock, attached some eggcrate to the bottom of the rod for floor support, and just slid my rocks down onto the rod. Works pretty well, and allowed me to stack my rocks high and in the center of the tank, giving fish more swimming room.

Here's a pic - you can see the rod sticking out of the one rock as I was sill placing a few more. Every rock is on a rod though.
IMG_9536.jpg

I got some 1/2" acrylic rod at the acrylic store (about $5 for a 8ft rod if I remember right), drilled holes in my rock, attached some eggcrate to the bottom of the rod for floor support, and just slid my rocks down onto the rod. Works pretty well, and allowed me to stack my rocks high and in the center of the tank, giving fish more swimming room.

Here's a pic - you can see the rod sticking out of the one rock as I was sill placing a few more. Every rock is on a rod though.
IMG_9536.jpg

thats a good idea, never thought of that

Just go to home depot and get this foam called great stuff, it works wonders and once set I can hold them up and the other rock is stuck. Just look thru my thread and you'll see what I did.

I got mine stacked against the back wall. You DO have to watch for dead space, so I put a Koralia in there to blow through and help with that.
And I *think* the general rule of thumb for live rock as a filtration system is approx 1lb per gallon. However, depending on how porous the rock is will dictate overall mass. Best to look for as porous rock as you can unless it's 'base rock' you're going to use as a foundation for your aquascaping. You can guesstimate how porous it is by how lightweight or heavy the rock is.

I'd personally try and keep as much as possible off of the backwall because of deadspots that are usually created. I did the "backwall" thing one time and it was a nightmare...Even just for cleaning purposes . Nonetheless, some people keep their rocks against the backwall without any issues. Not sure if the fish like it or what because they can't swim around the rocks, but only infront of them, but it is something you will have to decide. I vote for off the backwall though as my personal opinion :)

i started with the island thing and i found that i had 4 plains of glass to clean,

now im stacked but with meny caves and some limited dead spots in the back... the dead spots will be prone to detritus and settlement, my awnser is just turning the tunzes around for a day or two every few weeks...

makes a nice snow storm of stuff... but other then that my water is unharmed

Back