A question about r/o systems..??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
..Ok..so i am very curious about how a r/o system is supposed to run..Do they set up like an under the sink mount filter connected to it own fauscet?Then when the water is needed just turn on the fauscet?..Or do they have to run constantly to filter the water properly,eliminating the waste water??
if anyone has one set up at home, could explain how they have theirs,I woul;d greatly appreciate it....thanksa lot...Shane

RO units can be set up many different ways. I have mine set up to a spigot in my laundry room, with the waste line run out to my lawn (except in the winter when it would freeze). The nice thing about hooking it up to it's own spigot is that it isn't a permenant setup, it can be disconnected and moved more easily than if you use a saddle valve. To answer your other question, the unit does not need to constantly re-circulate water.

MikeS

Ok...so if i set this up under my kitchen sink with a water supply in...then Run the r/o out to a small like drinking fauscet next to the kitchen sink..and a waste line to the drain..it should be right??..then when we want r/o water for either drinking or water changes we have it?This is a Kent marine 4 stage r/o di unit called the Maxxima...

Ok...so if i set this up under my kitchen sink with a water supply in...then Run the r/o out to a small like drinking fauscet next to the kitchen sink..and a waste line to the drain..it should be right??..then when we want r/o water for either drinking or water changes we have it?This is a Kent marine 4 stage r/o di unit called the Maxxima...

You need to make sure you have a asv (auto shut off) valve if you want to connect it directly to the water line.

Don

yes...you hook it up to the cold water underneath the sink....most units come with a storage tank...the unit will run until the tank is full.. it will have an automatic shutoff to turn the unit off when it is full... most units have a line that you can run up to an extra faucet on the sink, plus a line that you can use underneath to fill jugs or buckets....i would pass on the Kent brand though.. you are paying for the name and most are way overpriced!!! i would check out thefilterguys.biz...they are very helpful and have cheap prices.. you could also check ebay..i got mine from ebay, but i buy all my replacement filters from the filterguys.. mine is a 6 stage unit RO/DI with a sink faucet and 4 or 5g storage tank... i think i paid like $130 with shipping...

ok...so if i get a auto shut off valve....Probly from Mclendens or home depot,where does that hook into the system.....May sound like a dumb question...lol..but i just want to get this right...Dont wann flood us out!!!

i hooked mine up in my laundry room...it was the easiest way for me.. at my last house, i hooked it up under the sink.. it sucked trying to unhook everything and it was hard to work on for lack of space under there.. in the laundry room, i used a brass? "y" and hooked it up to the cold outlet for my washing machine.. you stick the waste water line to the same outlet in the wall that the washing machine waste water goes to and you are done!! took less than 2 minutes!!!

How much water will you need at a time? If more than a couple gallons you need it to fill a storage container.

I bought mine on eBay its also a 6 stage. Its rated at 100gpd so does that mean when I hook it up ill need a 100gal storage tank if say..I wanted to fill up my 500gal hot tub, and the laundry and for drinking,water changes etc? Im still waiting for it UPS. I plan on hooking it up in the laundry room. My tank is in the wall and the back of it is in the laundry room so all my plumbing is out of sight. The wife wants it For showers too. I think I might have a bigger plumbing job on my hands than I thought. How could I simple down this up coming project. I have well water now and the pump is in the well.:?:

I bought mine on eBay its also a 6 stage. Its rated at 100gpd so does that mean when I hook it up ill need a 100gal storage tank if say..I wanted to fill up my 500gal hot tub, and the laundry and for drinking,water changes etc? Im still waiting for it UPS. I plan on hooking it up in the laundry room. My tank is in the wall and the back of it is in the laundry room so all my plumbing is out of sight. The wife wants it For showers too. I think I might have a bigger plumbing job on my hands than I thought. How could I simple down this up coming project. I have well water now and the pump is in the well.:?:

Your going to need about a 3000 gpd rodi if you want to use it for all that.:)
Your unit will be good for coffee, glass of water or pitcher of juice. Your not going to use it for all that and really dont need to. You definatly dont want it in your hot tub, laundry or showers.

Don

ok i got my ro unit and hooked it up. The pressure coming out of the feed line is around 50 to 65psi. depending on if the sink is running or taking a shower etc. You mentioned something about the ri unit being mounted verticaly but mine is also horizontaly, whats the bad thing here with it being horizontaly? Does this affect anything here? Its a six stage. You would think if it had to be horizontal then they would of designed it to be? I allready changed a ton of water w/ it too! I have it hooked up so that the good water drains into a 36 gal tub,so when i need a few gal I get it from there. No pressure tank.:?:

ok i got my ro unit and hooked it up. The pressure coming out of the feed line is around 50 to 65psi. depending on if the sink is running or taking a shower etc. You mentioned something about the ri unit being mounted verticaly but mine is also horizontaly, whats the bad thing here with it being horizontaly? Does this affect anything here? Its a six stage. You would think if it had to be horizontal then they would of designed it to be? I allready changed a ton of water w/ it too! I have it hooked up so that the good water drains into a 36 gal tub,so when i need a few gal I get it from there. No pressure tank.:?:

The horizontal cartrige channels. Look at the design, water just goes in one end and out the other. With a verticle the water flows through all the media at the same time. Not a good design for as much di water as we use for aquariums.

Don

Here is a pic of verticles, the bottom right two. You can see they flow just like the sediment filters so you use the entire surface area.

Back