A Saga: Nikki's 120 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zhenya said:
Also, I still believe if rock is collected near the shores is bound to be more rich in algae imbeded in it and many other things(I am not knocking your rock in any way,Nikki, it is beautiful.Just thinking out loud :))

Excellent point. We'll discuss this on the LR thread.

I am not knocking your rock in any way,Nikki

No problem...I didn't take it that way.

I'm not sure of the location/type of area where the rock came from (Pukani Live Rock). I do know that there wasn't much in the way of macroalgaes on the surface...I found one halimeda. Mainly SPS colonies were on the tops of the rocks, and numerous sponges inside.

NaH2O said:
I do know that there wasn't much in the way of macroalgaes on the surface...I found one halimeda.
Ok can you explane how you know this, is it by observation or sience or maybe both?

OK - maybe I need to re-word that. I was looking my rock surfaces over for anything that resembled a macro algae, and I wanted it off. I didn't see anything other than one halimeda, otherwise the rock was clear of weed looking things. I guess you could say observation is science.....

Hey Nikki,
What has been your photo-period from the time you first placed live rock in the tank till present? What effect do ya think this has had on your algae cycles?
Scott:)

Scott - my photoperiod did not start until ~4-5 weeks into the cycle. I started with just a few hours and now am at 11 hours. I have some very nice coralline growth, and even have an area starting on the back of the tank. I don't think the length of the photoperiod would have made a difference. The nutrients from my rock + light = algae tank. The algae is great for absorbing the left over nutrients from curing my rock. Until the excess is gone, I will have algae.

Nikki, How is the tank doing?
I have a question about the suction/returns, the location seems to be located mid-ways. If you could do it again would you still locate them there? How do you solve the problem if all power goes out, do these suck water until the reach that level, or the air from the returns takes care of that?

Thanks,
Scooter

Scooterman - The tank still has an algae issue, but I think I'm starting to see it slow down. I'm still finding a lot of deep sponge pockets when I turkey baste. As for the suction on the closed loop, it really isn't effected when the power goes out. The drains to the sump (durso standpipes) don't seem to cause any issues, and the return from the sump, only drops into the tank about an inch....it hasn't sucked water when I turn off the pumps for maintenance (the water ends up just below the overflow line). The only area that I noticed a siphon with power failure is the refugium return. I just make sure it is only just below the water line. Let me know if I am not making any sense..... :)

NaH2O said:
The drains to the sump (durso standpipes) don't seem to cause any issues,
Ok, so the Drains are located high, guess I was looking at the suctions for the CLS, when you get time, could you post a shot of the standpipes, if possible? I'm trying to picture you circulation in my feeble head :D

Scott - don't know if this shot helps any. It is in my plumbing thread. I'll try and get in there to shoot the standpipes for ya over the weekend. At least in this pic you can see....all the plumbing on the back of the tank is closed loop. At the top left of the picture you can see my return line, and you can just make out the standpipe in the overflow.

4502plumb.jpg

Thanks Nikki, I did see this shot, which now helps because I see you pipes again but yes I'd like to see the meat per-say of the standpipe & plumbing. I'm trying to get a picture of exactly where & how your circulation is coming & going LOL!

NaH20,

Good to see you.....I really like this site....think I am going to hang around here...
How long has the tank been running, I missed it in the earlier messages. I just rebuilt my 75 and went with a BB setup also. I am at the hair algae stage also.....but I think I am finally getting the best of it. I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why I was still having an algae problem....when I tore my tank down I boil my rocks man was that gross......ect...but was still having problems....seeing your thread has helped.....

Thanks MBL

Last edited:
Alright - for those that wanted updated pictures of my hair algae biotype tank. Here they are. After going through possible sources of nutrients, I have changed salts, as it was my only input (water changes). We'll see how it goes. I have completed 2 - 50 gallon water changes, and am now going to get back onto a regular schedule. Hopefully, this will do it. I don't like blaming algae issues on something like a saltmix, but I'm baffled. First, I tried to leave the algae alone....that didn't work, next I tried harvesting.....and turkey basting. Have since moved onto blasting with a powerhead and still harvesting. I'm trying not to get too discouraged, and sometimes I think I'm winning. I do have snails, and 2 baby lettuce nudibranchs (the mom nudi died and left me with a lot of youngin's, but only 2 survived).

Also, upcoming.....an AquaUV 40 watt UV sterilizer, with wiper upgrade. Should be here in the next day or so....post pics when it arrives and installed.

Currently, I am filling up my QT, so I can start bringing some fish in. I would like to get the fish ordered this week sometime.

Onto the pics....

The first is of the tank back in early October

The second pic (in the background) is from the end of October, you can see the algae really taking off. This is after a previous big hair algae bloom that died off, back in September. Of course, that is my little one....she is not camera shy.

The third pic is from today. Actually, the algae looks much greener in the picture than it looks in person. I accidentally knocked the middle rocks, and they came a little loose, so I will have to fix that soon.

oops, I forgot to add that my coralline algae is growing - my locline is covered, the bottom and back are getting there, too.

Here are a few coral shots. The acro I put in October sometime. It was just a tiny little frag...barely an inch. It has encrusted on the rubble piece and really taken off (a few inches now, I'd say). It is my tank test frag. The zoos are in here, waiting to move into my nan....*er my daughter's nano. :D

I did have Maxx/Nick come over to take a peek at the tank a couple of weeks ago. hehehe - maybe he'll add his 2¢ about my tank.

Well Nikki it looks like the candy cane predetor is doing well. LOL You could always go with several different tangs added at one time. I have a yellow and naso together. In a another tank a pacific blue, a naso, and a yellow. My friend Mitch has a purple, yellow, blue, powder blue, and a naso in the same tank. (over 300 gallon) I have to feed algae because the rocks are kept mowed down. LOL In my experince if they are added at the exact same time, there is very little to no fighting. Really a nice looking tank just begging for corals. Another thing I am sure you already know is the coraline supposedly out competes the hair for nutrients and so do corals. You have been working on this since I first got here, I have really enjoyed seeing it happen. Thanks for all you do. Steve

Nikki,
I showed Rocio the pic of Carmela in front of the tank, and she DEMANDED that I tell you she is the most beautiful child she has ever seen. Feel free to pass that on to the little princess, unless you think that will cause problems at bed time.

As far as the tank goes.....Wright has some good advice. Go with a tang...or three. I've had my little Tomini for 2 whole days now....he's still munchin' away. He's a little secretive and hides...but the fish is about the size of a quarter with fins. And its been in a new environment for only two days...a new environment surrounded by two large curious dogs....not exactly the greatest way to acclimate, but I'm workin on it.
I would definately reccomend going with a Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaeatus family). Its your money, so I suggest going with the spendy pretty ones...(Sorry Jeff...). I love the colors on the juvenile Chevrons, but just keep in mind the adults will look similar to the Kole tangs when color has changed. IME, the bristletooth tangs are less aggressive than the other families so its less trouble to put them in before adding other fish to the tank, especially if their smaller in size.
I know you were also looking at the Magnificent Rabbitfish

siganus_magnificus35010.jpg

But these Barred rabbitfish
are very pretty too. They arent seen very often out here, but the are almost always mis-labeled as the Variagated Rabbitfish.

siganus_doliatus34996.jpg

I really liked your aquascaping in your tank. You're going through the same algae explosion I am....ya just need something to eat it up.

Nick

Back