A Saga: Nikki's 120 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Niki A thought on your tank came to me last night while I was tinerking around in the garage. With those Luminarc reflectors: How high off the water can you get them? Mine are about 6" off the water, putting the bulbs about 10-11" off the water, and I rarely have to clean them at all.. In fact the only time I need them cleaned is when I have screwed up somehow and splashed water around a bunch..

Anyway.. If you can get them high enough, you'll get better spread and probably wont need the protective glass for keeping maint low..

Another thought. When I had glass shield on mine, the glass got dirty more often than the reflector without them AND it took me just as long to pull out the glass and clean as the reflectors alone did.

Okay, now I can tinker in the garage in peace again ;)

Hey Thanks! I'm sorry my lighting was distracting your tinkering ;) :D....but I'm very thankful for the comments!!! The lights and reflectors I have on the tank now are approx 10 inches off the water and one reflector does get a bit of splash on it, more specifically the one on the side closest to the sea swirl. I think the combination of my flow, the rippling on the surface from the coast to coast, and the sea swirl I get quite a bit of surface agitation. I would like the bulb to be in about the same position as what I have now (10 inches from the water). I guess I'll have to play with them and see.

I’m curious as to what size and thickness steel frame you used to construct the frame? I will soon be building one for a 180 drilled glass tank that is 6’ x 24” x 24”. Do you think that the same design will work for my 180?

Whew! Found the post back a ways (#33)....

The stand's frame is constructed of A500 Structural Steel - dimension of steel: 3" X 1.5" X 11 Ga (120 wall). The dimensions of the frame itself: 36" X 48" X 24". I asked the resident engineer here what he thought about the same design for the dimensions you posted, and he said it should be fine. He went way overkill my stand.

Hope this helps!

sryder....I asked my clowns today if they wanted to move, and they said "No". Sorry :D

I appreciate that info.

DonW replied on a different thread saying that since I don't plan to screw the skin as you did I would have to rethink my design. In other words it will be strong but not rigid (may wobble).

Boy oh boy I couldn't imagine your stand wobbling without the skin, what do ya think?

Sounding like a total girl here......I'm not sure what "screw the skin" means? :confused:. The frame was all welded together, so my stand doesn't wobble at all.....it is very rigid. The wood is attached to little tabs that were welded onto the frame itself.

Nikki, that's what RSE's talking about.

I dont see how the skin would add significant stability to the stand either. Maybe if the stand was built out of lesser material, (plywood). But welded steel?

Unless Don was thinking about how Nikki's long suffering husband screwed the stand to the wall behind it to prevent wobble?

Nick

Hmmm....my wood is not attached to the frame itself, though. It is attached to the little tabs. I remember that frame before the wood was on it....I could have parked my car on it. You can see the tabs going on in this picture:

450weld.jpg

I didn't mean to add confusion but DonW was refering to this drawing on a thread I started:
standsteel.bmp

DonW felt that, as drawn, may not be sturdy unless plywood was screwed to the steel. Nikki's stand was welded of broader steel which I doubt could move even if the wood was not there at all.

ROFL - alright alright....I have to scrape the tank front first! There isn't much to see in the way of corals right now, though :(. I was hoping to wait until the corals I have in QT were in the tank, but you guys are persistant! :D

The tank is coming along fine. I rescaped with some of the rocks in the cooking bins...I'm not as thrilled about this scaping job, as much as I was when I set the tank up, but I think once it has corals attached all over it will look great.

The new eurobrace still has to get made, since I never received the fix for the crack (projects on the house are taking priority over tank projects right now), and the lumenarcs still have to get installed, too. I'm picking up some pieces today to help install those.

I'm taking over a friend's SPS, and I discovered an Acro eating flatworm problem on them, so I'm not sure how long they'll be in QT (and I need to pick up the rest of the pieces). Here is a thread I started on the corals in quarantine: QT for Acro Eating Flatworms

My female Resplendant Anthias disappeared on me, and I have acquired a Paracanthurus hepatus (pick common name of your choice lolol). The P. hepatus had HLLE issues when I received him, but he looks so much better now. I'm thrilled to have him as part of the community. I need to think about a few other fish to add, but right now I'm focusing on corals.

Back