Abalone??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bottom feeder

I just found two of these guys sliding around my tank lastnight just wondering if anyone knew a little about them and why they are so expensive. thanks in advance:confused:

loo: nope i dont eat afrodesiacks. ..(sp) last time i was like 12 and ate boiled clams and watched an imax and i never ate any more since then

ron: they are like the oyster. but rounder.

i have never seen one alive however on a plate they are a small flat circle about the size of the bottom of a coffee cup and about 1/4-3/8 inch thick and delicious

They have a small shell a little smaller than your pinky finger nail.Only the top half is under the shell,I tried to remove one from the rock and i was very surprised with the grip he had on the rock i actualy left him alone i didnt want to hurt him.Ill post a picture tomm. my wife has the camera at school tonight.

They are actually nothing like an oyster, but a snail. The abalone can get pretty big, and need sufficient algae to live and survive. If you do have enough algea though, it is a very cool tank member. You will know that it is an abalone if when you go to pick it up you cant :p. When they harvest them, you have to use a knife to pop them off or else chisel away at the rock :shock:

-augustus

Chances are your hitchhikers aren't abalone. Tropical abs aren't that common but there are some other tropical snails that have the same flattened shape.

we have an abolone season here and they go for $90 kilo in shell
i have a coldwater one that has hitchhiked on sum live rock he pretty cool can move every rock in my tank if it wants to and also eat purple coraline which is coll casue there alot of it

I have an abalone and I absolutely love him! They are great algae eaters. I swear they'll plow through anything.

Back