? about SeaClone skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeremyhowe

What does the little hose that is on the filter part of the powerhead do? I'm not sure if it is supposed to just suck air or suck water? It looks like it has threads on the end to be threaded into something? Let me know.
Thanks!

I have never used a Seaclone skimmer but from what you have said it should just go to the intake side of the pump and then just up somewhere on the colection cup. Does the skimmer seem to be working? If you needed some help with anything I would be happy to stop by aand help you out since i live in everett.

I'm not sure if it is supposed to just suck air or suck water?

your real close...it just sucks....no matter what :(

but you are describing the crappy venturi it comes with, and it needs that to suck... :(

might i suggest you follow the mods in this thread to your maxi-jet...
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

but in reality, i think you should just get a different skimmer most likely...
what size tank is the sea clown trying to skim?

your real close...it just sucks....no matter what :(

but you are describing the crappy venturi it comes with, and it needs that to suck... :(

might i suggest you follow the mods in this thread to your maxi-jet...
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

but in reality, i think you should just get a different skimmer most likely...
what size tank is the sea clown trying to skim?

Its on a 75 gallon tank. I bought the setup from someone and it came with.
I attached a picture of the little tube thing. Do I need a separate air pump to attach to that? There is not spot on either the powerhead or the skimmer to screw it onto.

I have never used a Seaclone skimmer but from what you have said it should just go to the intake side of the pump and then just up somewhere on the colection cup. Does the skimmer seem to be working? If you needed some help with anything I would be happy to stop by aand help you out since i live in everett.

The skimmer is creating the vacuum effect inside the tube, but there are no bubbles going into the collection cup. It stops almost at the top. There is no place on the collection cup to attach it.

I had a seaclone and I hate to say anything too negative about it, but at some point upgrading to a better skimmer will make a huge difference. I had the Seaclone and it just never did a very good job, but maybe they are better now. I think I put a more powerful powerhead onto my seaclone which helped.
I ended up buying a Remora hang on tank skimmer and then modified it with a better maxi Jet. Then I went to a G2 ASM and it seemed like I had finally figured it out. But after some issues, I chose the warner Marine AS 150 and I feel like I finally found my "soulmate" skimmer. It just works and is easy to clean. So I guess what I am trying to say is learn from the Seaclone but at some opportunity upgrade to get better performance. There are a lot of really good skimmers at decent prices these days.
talk to Skimmerwhisperer...he may have some input on improving the seaclone. Good luck on everything

Back when I started reefing in 1999, I was talked into buying a Seaclone by my LFS. That wa before I found online sites like Reef Frontiers and Reef Central. Ther are some mods that you can perform to make a Seaclone perform better, but there is only so much you can do with a Seaclone. Like others, I suggest that you keep an eye out for a used replacement skimmer.

I am sure that others will suggest better skimmers. Skimmerwhisperer will point you in the right direction and may even have one to sell you. He knows what he is talking about and is a trustworthy reefer. Once you replace the Seaclone, you will never look back.

Gary

Its amazing how many people get a seaclown as there first skimmer, and even more amazing at how many people then get a remora : ) I'd take a seaclown over that garbage. I wouldn't even waste my time modding the seaclown, just get your tank set up and save some money for a new skimmer. If the seaclown skims for you, good. If it doesn't just do your biweekly water changes like normal and you should be ok. Doesn't sound like your going to go full out reef right off the bat.

The skimmer is creating the vacuum effect inside the tube, but there are no bubbles going into the collection cup. It stops almost at the top. There is no place on the collection cup to attach it.

I have a skimmer like that although I am no longer using it. The fitting with the threads you are talking about is missing a piece. It should have a a cap that screws in that has a slit through the threads and you control the air intake by adjusting the cap (turning it to let in more or less air). I am not suprised you are not getting anything without that piece. I had to have mine almost totally closed to make it foam, it was a fine line between foam and just dumping bubbles into the tank.

I am charging my camera batteries and will post a picture of that part on my skimmer. But like others I would recommend a new better skimmer. On a 75g, if it were me, I would bite the bullet, set up a sump and run a much larger in sump skimmer.

Back