Acan trying to jump ship?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slocsin

Hi,

I have an ?Acan? that is trying to remove itself from it's hard coral base.
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4070.JPG

Any suggestions?

Any one in Seattle area know of a coral hospital?

Helpme save my prized coral...

Thanks
Susan

That doesn't look like an acan to me, I'm thinking lobo brain. Looks like it's peeling away from it's skeleton. Is it in a high flow area?

That is a brain and should be on the sand bed. Im willing to bet that its getting to much flow on it and its peeling it away from it.

That is a brain and should be on the sand bed. Im willing to bet that its getting to much flow on it and its peeling it away from it.

+1 i believe its a Trachyphyllia , but I'd say move it onto the sand bed and in lower flow until it starts to heal. How long have you had this coral and if you could provide some info about your tank that will help to. What type of lighting do u have, tank size, flow, and water parameters.

More info...

+1 i believe its a Trachyphyllia , but I'd say move it onto the sand bed and in lower flow until it starts to heal. How long have you had this coral and if you could provide some info about your tank that will help to. What type of lighting do u have, tank size, flow, and water parameters.
90g with refugium, dual 175w halogen, dual actinics
had this piece ~1.5 yrs - has always been in moderate flow
this piece has done this in ~ the last week

As it gets bigger or inflates with more water it probably has gotten caught in the current and it is being peeled from its skeleton. If you leave it there it will most likely result in death. If you research it you will find the above recomendations of it being on the sand bed to be correct.

that sucks,but I know that I can't put those kind of corols in high flow areas. hope you can get him back on or stop him from coming all the way off.

I have had the same problems with brain corals. So I want to see any comments that come in on this thread. Even though it is four months old. Probably nothing more will be said.

Back