Accidental Creatine induced growth spirt

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Boomer here is a good one to get you thinking. I take 60g of creatine daily and accidently dumped the cup into my tank. Within 48hrs coraline took off like mad and the few sps corals showed excess growth. Without doing anything everything went back to normal within 48 hours.

What is it with Creatine Monohydrate that could have caused this?

Don

Yes just water and creatine. Maybe a very small amount of whey protein from previous drink I didn't rinse out before mixing.

Don

Not too much of a stretch to believe that same primary building blocks that we use to grow apply to the aquarium inhabitants as well. I mean we are now adding amino acids (long used in body building), HGH (also used illegally to grow rapidly). I am interesting in a science based answer, but this seems reasonably logical to me.

I once had a similar experience with Beer.
But the next morning I concluded that it wasn't my aquarium's coral growth I had been looking at, was a nature show on discovery channel

No not a joke I also wouldn't try it again in my own tank unless boomer states otherwise. The amino comment I guess is a possibility. The dose is the daily equal to over 20 pounds of raw red meat when it comes to creatine.

Don

Wow this is very interesting then! I too may experiment with small doses. So how much growth are we talking? Did the creatine cloud the tank? Was there more skimmate production? Was there more pe from your corals?

No it doesn't cloud because it was already dissolved in a 64 oz cup of plain ro water. No effect on the skimmer but its just a POS tunze. I have a browned out Digitata that never encrusted and never coraline on the front glass. After the spill I got a dime sized coraline growth and the digitata started to lay down a base as well as three nodules for new branches. It may have phosphates so I'd be careful and would at least wait for Boomer to respond.

Don

Just curious which name brand creatine product you are using? Some contain sugars, lots of them and various other items. Also, does it just say creatine monohydrate or Creatine ethyl ester (creatine monohydrate)?

Jarrow Formulas creatine monohydrate. Creapure. Supposed to be the purist without adding proteins or sugars for obvious reasons considering its intended use or my intended use anyways.

Don

You take a big cup and stand it on the corner of your rimless tank. Proceed to feed the fish and have the cup fall in. Simple really give it a shot maybe we will come up with some great cure for AAEFW or something. :)

Don

Don, Have you posted this on other sites? Since Boomer hasn't replied, I'm wondering if one of the chemical guys from an other site has anything to say.

Back