acclimating and mounting fresh cut sps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kinerson

I was wondering what the best way to handle freshly cut sps frags. I will be getting some at the end of the week and I want to do this right. I have heard and experienced fresh cut frags dying as a result of glueing them once I recieved them (rtn). I have heard it's better to let them adjust to your system 4-5 days on the bottom of the tank in an icecube tray or eggcrate etc. Then, after this amount of time, it's safer to glue them in position. I would love to hear the thoughts and experiences from fellow reefers in this regaurd?
Thanks,
Greg

The only thing I've read about this subject is that certain SPS corals don't do well being moved a lot and should be put in their permanent position quickly. For instance, Acrapora Valida. It needs to be located permanently rather quickly. I glued mine within 2 days of getting it. I'd have glued it quicker but wasn't exactly sure where I wanted it...lol. I think you'd be fine gluing them after 4 or 5 days though. I've also read that light acclimation is very important, which would make your way of doing it better I think.

I have handled them either way, glue 'em right away or let them go for 3-5 days. Usually the ones that spend overnite getting to me I don't mount right away. Either way, light acclimation is also important, I always start mine at the bottom. JMHO

I have not noticed any difference in glueing frags and I mean fresh cut frags immediately after recieving them. After acclimation is fine. I also haven't heard of any species being more apt to RTN just due to glueing them in place. What I would suggest is glueing them to some rock rubble and setting them maybe low in your tank and after seeing how they do then relocating them to the postion they will be in. I got some awesome frags this past friday and I glued them right as I was ready to place them in the tank. They are already in their permanent spot. I knew the type of lighting they were coming from and that is half the battle.

Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine.... you don't know what else is going to come in with your frags...

I have not seen any difference in leaving or gluing them right away. By far the most critical factor is lighting acclimation. I have never seen an SPS coral RTN from too low light but many times from too high light intensity. 5-7 days in a moderate flow, low light area is usually enough acclimation for SPS corals.

Regards,
Kevin

I try to know who I am getting frags from and 99% have been from people I know so that I know their tank, their corals and the person I am getting the frags from. Meaning I know their lighting and can place my new frags where I know they'll do good right away.

Kevin-
"5-7 low light medium flow is usually good", after this point would you go ahead and place them up higher in permanent location?
Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg,
I would move them up 6" or so and leave them for another week. If the coloration is what I want I might leave them there or if they look too dark I would move them higher. I do like to glue my frags directly onto the main rockwork. They are easy to break off if you want to move them to another location (at least until they encrust a large area).

Regards,
Kevin

Back