Achilles tang question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Achilles live on the reef crests. I have rarely seen these fish in an area that wasnt filled with heavy surge. Its an amazing sight to see a school of about 100 of Achilles that are all dinner plate sized or there abouts.

Its a gorgeous fish, but you really need to get a healthy one or your not gonna have success. To answer a previous question, IMO, a 55 gallon isnt big enough to QT one of these fish. I would suggest anything less than 75 gallons, and the higher the flow the better. These are a fish that will pace incessantly in a tank w/o heavy flow....I've seen several "wear" at their nose and face while doing so...

Nick

what would you consider a spacious QT? Is a 55 gallon too small? My other QT is a 29 gallon and I assume that's not going to cut it even in the short term.
A 55-75 gal QT would be minimum, the larger the better and well established months ahead of time.

Other tips I've read while researching this fish include maintaining a high DO content (i.e. > 7ppm)
Where did you get this from?

I'm also curious to hear your opinions on mixing this fish with a regal/hippo tang (already in tank) and potentially a purple tang (possibly added in the future). This a 240 gallon tank.
One thing to note right off is Achilles are not a good choice for tangs overall. It would be a "depends on" type of thing, also keeping in mind what's already been discussed.

If the Regal was smaller than the Achilles it should not be a big problem. Large regals tend to be rather vicious to new commers unless they (newcomer) stand their ground. Even then, the Regal can add allot of stress to the tank for the short term. The purple could be an issue but added afterward and not as large as the Achilles, might be okay. Can't give you a more confidant answer than mabye. Personally I would make sure the Achilles is well established before considering another tang if at all.

Cheers
Steve

As long as your tank and water parameters are in top quality and you have a plan in case acclimation doesn't go too well (large QT tank), the species should get along fine. Each tang should have a place to hide that is its own (or at least an equal amount of spaces to the number of fish). Similar size (to start with) also helps as well.

Ok. But how is this different from a new QT set up with existing biomedia? Should I keep it "established" by just feeding it a little every day and not keep any livestock in it?
You do not need to keep a QT permamnently set up but when you know you will be aquiring animals, it's safer and more beneficial for them to be introduced to a stable cycled environement. It significantly improves success and reduced sudden death. For emergencies we often don't have the luxury but for new preplanned additions, it shouldn't be a stretch. At the very least give the QT a few weeks to cycle with the added biomedia. Feeding the tank will definately help, just be mindful a little goes along way.

In particular regard to the Achilles though, yes I think you would be wise to have the QT set up and well cycled ahead of time. Given the already iffy acclimation of the species in the first place, adding it to an unstable tank is asking for failure.

Bob Fenner said this over on Wetwebmedia.com: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acantsysfaqs.htm
Ah, DO = dissolved O2, I thought that was dissolved organics hence my confusion!! :p

Cheers
Steve

Back