Achilles Tang undergoing Hyposalinity: what are these marks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pebbles

Hi Lee,

A good friend of mine is having a problem with his new Achilles and I am posting on his behalf due to unreliable net access ATM. I have canvassed as much information as possible, so here is his summary:

Fish: Achilles Tang approx 13cm, the only fish in treatment.

QT Water Parameters
SG - 1.009
Temp - 24/25
pH - 8.3
Ammonia - 0
Daily water changes: 25L; water pH adjusted with baking soda before adding to the tank.
Bubblemarin Skimmer still working during hyposalinity.

Equipment used: Refractometer, NSW, aged tap water/prime, 3x3x1.5 QT tank, skimmer, heater, 2 x Tunze 6055 powerheads, ATO.

Journal

* 23rd Jan 2010 - Bought the fish from LFS. It was very black and fat but definately had Ich. I couldnt take it home that day, because my QT wasnt ready for a new fish with a positive case a Ich. I asked the LFS to hold the fish until the 14th February (3 weeks).

* 14th Feb 2011 - Went to pick up the fish. I had called weekly to get progress reports - The staff told me he was eating like a horse but still had Ich. When I arrived, he had been moved from the LFS reeftank, to the LFS hospital tank being treated with Vertonex due to the Ich progressively getting worse. Breathing very quick, but no external signs of white spot.

I took the salinity from 1.026 to 1.009 over 48hours. He refused all food for the first 24hrs. By the 2nd night he was eating brine shrimp - nothing else.

* 20th February 2011
No sign of Ich or any other diesease. He had some fin damage and a cut mouth on arrival but that had healed within the week. Being fed vitiman enriched brine shrimp and red nori with garlic 3 times a day. He wouldnt take to green nori but the red nori in garlic did the trick.

* 7th March 2001
I have been running without lights until now. I have now turned on the lights, photoperiod 1pm-7pm.
IMG_5753.jpg

Im not sure what the markings on him are? I know he was in the same tank as a cleaner wrasse who was constantly pecking at him. Still eating 3 times a day, no signs of Ich, diesease, or other signs of ill health. Breathing, behavour all seem normal.

Have got him onto mysis shrimp, wasnt taking it at first. Still refusing pellets. Still being fed 3 feeds a day. Definately putting on weight.

Apart from the markings, he looks in good health.

NOTE: the markings may have been there much earlier and the owner didn't notice until the lights were being used.

As always, thanks for your time.

cheers
angie

Last edited:
WOW Angie, I must commend you on the depth of information you've provided. I'm sure that Lee will also appreciate this, as it'll make it much easier and quicker, for him to help diagnose your problem. I look forward to hearing what he has to say. I also much comment on the dedication being given, to treat this fish!!

While you wait for Lee's opinion, my first thought is that it is just a stress coloration, when startled/stressed tangs will get blotchy. If you just turned on the lights it would be fairly normal coloration, but should have gone away with time (i.e. if you left light on for awhile and leave the area so fish has time to calm down).

Hope this helps

If not simply stress caused temporary discoloration, could be mild rock abrasion from previously trying to rub off irritating Ich.
If they do not grow into an obvious bacterial or fungal infection, I would say it looks fine for now and to continue treatment.

Might sound funny but is that the side it sleeps on or wedges itself into position at night. I've found where my tang lays at night (between two rocks) are where it's stress marks are seen and most often also if a feeding has been missed the same area will become stressed like a teenager with pimples IMHO. Just something to pay attention to.

Dtech07

I would definitely warn your friend to never acquire a sick fish. Too many risks and it sends the wrong message to the source.

Assuming these areas do not change in size, hue, or shape (which would most likely be the fish's camoflage tricks), it is most likely they are areas where the mucous coating has been disturbed and has allowed a minor infection to occur. With the stress of all that is happening, this is not unusual.

Tangs in general have a thin mucous coating, making them more suseptible to skin problems. If fed properly and properly nourished and with stessors reduced, it should come around.

Thanks for your input. I have directed michael here to reply if and when the situation changes.

cheers
angie

Back