acro horrida brownish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaron7405

Hi there

I have a frag of acropora horrida it shoould be violet but is a brownish color.

I had it when I get i on a 10 G nano with regular bulbs for like 2 weeks. at the firts it was violet and mouths where green. now I place it in my main tank unther MH 250W 5 hours a day.

I have read than this change of color is for the poor light that was place it at the bigining but that is my quarentine tank.

My question is is the 250 W will be enough for the horrida? is the picmentation will came back with the time?

Thank alot

Hello,
250W is plenty of light for most Acropora corals. Coral placement, water clarity, and bulb spectrum play a large part in the coloration of SPS corals. Your coral may take up to 6 months to adapt to its new lighting. The quickest way to keep the original color is to duplicate the lighting from where it came from when it was violet.
This can be a challenge if it was from the wild. Wild colonies often turn brown when placed in the home aquarium. They can turn a totally different color or remain brown for months. A few I have never been able to get them to color up to my satisfaction.

Regards,
Kevin

Hello,
250W is plenty of light for most Acropora corals. Coral placement, water clarity, and bulb spectrum play a large part in the coloration of SPS corals. Your coral may take up to 6 months to adapt to its new lighting. The quickest way to keep the original color is to duplicate the lighting from where it came from when it was violet.
This can be a challenge if it was from the wild. Wild colonies often turn brown when placed in the home aquarium. They can turn a totally different color or remain brown for months. A few I have never been able to get them to color up to my satisfaction.

Regards,
Kevin

Coral place is on t he top like 1´ from the top, So it will get the most of the light, the spectrum is a brand new 14000 k "china" bulb than came with the lamp (Sunpod 20" MH by Current USA ) I love the lamp but for the money it cost they should put a brand name bulb.

I think the Acropora is cultured not from the wild, I will try to contact the person who sell it to me to tell me what kind of light he was using.

So i Will have to weit and look foward to change the color back again.

Thank you a lot for your response and to help us Keving

A friend in mexico Aaron Amezquita

Water parameters are excelente I think is more related to ligth but thanx

o i didn't mean to make it sound like you had bad water quality, it's just that sometimes its a bit different from tank to tank, given it's lighting too, best luck with the coral

What are your params? Like Kevin said, if it's under a 250w halide, it's most likely not lighting related.

Back