Acro Troubles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just thought I'd update this. The mille is extending polyps slightly more during the daytime, but no where near full extension. It still extends them nicely at night. Its recovering from the electrocution slowly. The branches have turned a tan color while the corallites are turning pale greenish yellow now instead of white.

mille.jpg

For comparison, here's the original pic I posted of it:

mille.jpg

I guess I must be doing something right then.

One more photo update:
mille.jpg

Polyps are finally starting to extend during the daytime (still better at night).

I'm switching to MH lighting this week (2 x 250w 10k with 2 54w T5 actinics). Unfortunately Reef Geek has the Icecap T5 retros on back order and they're saying I won't get them til the following week :(. I'm not sure how the increased lighting will affect the color, but I imagine it will be for the better.

Hey Tom,

Looking very good over there.

So we're going to have the same exact lighting on our tanks. :)

Cool Jan, I'm getting anxious for my lights. The reflectors and ballasts should arrive tomorrow. Bulbs and hanging kit and possibly the T5s will arrive Friday. The T5 reflectors were on back order though and it's looking like I may not get them this week.

Umm, you know how to acclimate your corals to your new mh system? I thought Id ask before your corals all bleach back to the beginning.

Those are some astonishing looking clams I would like to add some to my set-up but have an blue cheeked goby in the tank that spits sand all over the place.Anyway if your maintaining water quality and flow is good the rest only time will tell.

I had a minor disaster today with this mille. A montipora digitata frag fell over on it and was touching it, possibly for several hours. After I moved the monti, there was some white slimy stuff on the portion of the mille that was touched by the digi. I gently blew it off with a turkey baster and there's skeleton visible under it, as seen here:

mille_damage.jpg

Should I get out the bone shears now and start fragging, or just watch it to make sure it doesn't RTN?

I made the mistake of waiting with my green slimer frag when it got stung by star polyps, and within 10 hours it was 90% dead and I was unable to save it by fragging the tip at that point.

The monti is also slightly damaged, but I'm not too concerned about that as it's a small frag and I have 2 other frags of it. I do not have more frags of the mille.

No just leave it. Baste it several times a day to keep the algae from growing on it. It should be fine as long as the rtn doesnt spread. Which it shouldnt as its usually just the spot that touched the other coral.

I would leave it alone but make sure it has plenty of water flow. It doesn't look like that much damage from the picture and should recover in a week or two. If you see tissue peeling off you can cover the area with super glue.

Regards,
Kevin

Back