acropora and xenias

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So I had a beautiful purple acropora for 8 months and it had doubled in size. Last week I trimmed my anthelia and xenia and my big purple tang turned almost white and within an hour my acropora died - it lost all of its polyps and became a skeleton. My tang (Moses) got his color back within an hour and he is fine now.
I took the rock with the xenia and anthelia out of the tank and won't keep it anymore. That stuff really stinks when it comes out of the water.
Is this a problem that others have had?

It sounds like you had a pretty severe aleopathy incident. That is the kind of "chemical warfare" that many people have issues with when keeping softies and SPS togethor. all though I haven't heard about it stressing out fish like that before or having that drastic of an effect on other corals in the tank, usually its a pretty slow process from what I have seen/heard about.

Tom

I agree with Toms post. I have also never heard of such a severe reaction to trimming back Xenia or Anthelia. Ive trimmed, scraped and killed alot of pink pom pom xenia in my SPS dominated tank time and time again with no ill effect.

Hello,
It was caused by the Anthelia not the Xenia. I have seen Anthelia keep a Haddoni Carpet anemone at bay as well as many encrusting hard and soft corals.

Regards,
Kevin

Back